How many of you know when White Rock was incorporated? If you guessed 1957 you are correct.
White Rock will be 60 years old on Saturday, April 15.
To recognize this very special birthday we are having a seniors diamond anniversary luncheon from 12-2 p.m. in the Centre for Active Living. Enjoy a delicious sit-down lunch and entertainment by ‘Nearly Neil”, a fabulous Neil Diamond impersonator, and Alyssa Nielsen who sings the music of Patsy Cline.
If you would like to attend this gala luncheon, please call 604-541-2199, drop into any White Rock Recreation Centre or register online at www.whiterockcity.ca/register. Cost is $10 per person.
• Spring is just around the corner and with it comes the White Rock Recreation and Culture Spring/Summer Recreation Guide. View it online at www.whiterockcity.ca/register
Registration starts on Monday, March 27 for members and on Wednesday, March 29 for non-members. Interested in becoming a member? Call 604-541-2199 for more information.
• If you are over 65 and need assistance with completing your income tax returns, community volunteers are available to help file your tax returns electronically.
This free service is provided to seniors on low income with simple forms. If you meet this criteria, please drop off your forms at the Kent Street Activity Centre front desk to be E-filed. Call 604-541-2231.
• Learn basic gardening principles that will help you gain food self-sufficiency. The next workshop is “Everything to Know About Tomatoes, Cucumbers and Melons,” Thursday, March 23, from 7-9 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre. To register, call 604-541-2199.
• Build stamina and endurance in an interval-training fit camp designed for the fit 55-plus adult on Mondays at 3:30 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre. Your first class is free. Call 604-541-2231 to register.
• The Kent Street auditorium is open Wednesday evenings from 7:30-10:30 p.m. for all those 50+ who enjoy live music, friendly people and social dancing. Doors open at 7 p.m. and tickets are available at the door. This week’s live band is the popular New Vintage.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.