The International Artist Day Festival is a celebration honouring artists for their contributions to society.
On Oct. 25 and 26, drop into the White Rock Community Centre and enjoy live performances, art displays, workshops and scheduled talks by noted artists who have been invited to share their stories throughout the weekend.
The festival will also feature a 12×12-inch canvas art show, with more than 60 artists participating.
For more information about this festival – or the many other events in the Fall Festival of the Arts – check out www.whiterockcity.ca
• Learn about the fascinating life and art work of Chinese Artist Ai Weiwei in a wonderful documentary showing at the White Rock Community Centre Gallery Oct. 30.
The Get Reel Film Series features the best in Canadian films from the Toronto International Film Festival.
Call 604-541-2199 to purchase your tickets for this film. You won’t want to miss it.
• Pull up a chair and join Maggie Rodgers for a colourful and entertaining travel presentation on eastern France, Oct. 31 at the White Rock Community Centre.
Learn about the beauty of this region, its landscape, food and culture. Call 604-541-2231 to register.
• Relive the excitement of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games as you tour the award-winning Richmond Olympic Oval on this 55+ excursion on Nov. 20. Following the tour, enjoy a delicious lunch at the Flying Beaver. Seats are going fast, so call 604-541-2231 to register.
• Now there are even more opportunities to exercise indoors on state-of-the-art cardio equipment.
White Rock Leisure Services has increased the number of open gym times in the cardio gym at the Centre for Active Living. Pick up a Leisure Guide or fitness drop-in schedule at any White Rock Leisure Services Facility, or call 604-541-2199 for more information.
• Did you know that to play Contract Bridge on Sundays 1-4 p.m. at Kent Street Activity Centre and Tuesdays 1-3:30 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre, you do not need a partner.
So why not come out and play some hands? A White Rock Leisure Services membership is required. Call 604-541-2231 for more information.
• Get your tickets for the Kent Street Seniors Society’s Bridge Luncheon, Friday, Nov. 29. Register with a partner. This is a lovely lunch followed by an afternoon of contract bridge.
Tickets are available at Kent Street office for $15 per person. No tickets at the door. You can’t help but be a winner with both treats – door prizes and tricks in your hand.
• Get out your dancing shoes for the tunes of Greg Hampson on stage tomorrow in the Kent Street auditorium.
Located at 1475 Kent St., doors open at 7 p.m., with social dancing from 7:30-10:30. Members, $5;non-members, $6 – and includes delicious snacks during the break. Dancers 50+, solos and couples are welcome.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.