April is the final month of the Kent Street Activity Centre’s community volunteer income-tax program.
If you are over 65 years of age and considered to have a low income, you still have until April 30 to bring your paperwork to the centre to be processed.
One of the helpful volunteers will file it electronically. For more information, please call 604-541-2331.
n Discover the many mind and body benefits of the gentle practice of Tai Chi. Beginner-level classes are on now at the White Rock Community Centre. Late registration is welcome. Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan for Beginners, or Beginners Tai Chi Chen Style 18 classes are a great place to start. Call 604-541-2199 for more information or to register.
• Find out how to get the most from your Apple iPad tablet, or discover even more about how to use it in a three-hour workshop held at the White Rock Community Centre, Fridays 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Level 1 and 2 classes are available.
A White Rock Recreation and Culture membership is required. Please call 604-541-2199 to register or online at www.whiterockcity.ca/register
• There are so many opportunities this spring to discover the benefits of yoga.
Between men’s-only yoga, Hatha uoga, restorative yoga, power-flow yoga or seniors-only yoga, there are classes for everyone. A variety of days and times are available. Drop-in with a 10-session ZYP pass for only $105. Call 604-541-2199 for more information.
• Discover some of the key root causes of pain and how to eliminate them using natural methods on Tuesday, May 3, from 10-11:30 a.m. at the Centre for Active Living.
Find out how detoxification is the key for optimal health and more vitality and energy. The presenter for this Living Free From Pain workshop is a chartered herbalist and detoxification specialist. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Do you find the dinner hour a hard time to be at home alone? Are you not sure what to cook for dinner for one?
Sign up now for Tasty Connections in the Kent Street kitchen and create a meal with Chef Pat, enjoy the meal together and take a meal home to enjoy later.
Recipes are homey, simple and created in an easy, fun atmosphere. This course runs for five weeks starting May 26, 4-6 p.m. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• If you are looking for a new activity that offers mild exercise, a bit of friendly competition and great socializing, consider carpet bowling at the Kent Street Activity Centre. This popular indoor, scaled-down version of lawn bowling can be learned in a few minutes, and members can be playing on a team their first time out.
The equipment is provided by the Centre. Come try out carpet bowling three times before becoming a paid member. Sessions run Wednesdays and Fridays, 9:45 a.m.- 12 p.m. For more, call 604-541-2199.
• The Kent Street dance committee welcomes you to their Wednesday night dance. Each night, a different band plays live music for social dancing.
Singles and couples aged 50 plus are welcome. Don’t be shy; there are mixer dances to get you acquainted. Doors open at 7 p.m. with dancing from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Refreshments served midway. Tonight’s featured band is Quartette.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.