Register now for the drop-in cardio gym set that starts Aug. 1.
Open Saturdays 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Monday through Friday from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 4:30-9 p.m. at the Centre for Active Living. Get your cardio workout in a friendly gym setting – an attendant is available to give a basic introduction on the use of cardio equipment (treadmill, bike, elliptical trainer and rower).
You can a register for the full month, or purchase a 10- or 20-session drop-in pass. Call 604-541-2199 to get your pass today.
• Did you know there are pickleball and badminton courts at the Centre for Active Living?
On the dry floor of the curling club there is sport flooring installed ready for indoor court sports. The courts are available on a drop-in basis; some rackets and balls/birdies are available for loan. Please call 604-541-2199 for available times.
• Let stress and tension melt away and connect with a deep sense of peace and relaxation.
Starting Aug. 6 and 7 at the White Rock Community Centre, there are two restorative yoga courses to choose from. Restorative yoga is a gentle healing form of Hatha yoga that is practised with props to provide a supportive environment for total relaxation. These gentle poses create physiological responses that are beneficial to your health and can reduce the effects of stress-related illness.
The class is slow, deeply nurturing and suitable for all ages – particularly those with chronic pain or limitations. Learn yogic breathing and meditation techniques as you practise gentle poses. Activate healing from stress of daily activities, injuries or illness. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Enhance your cardiovascular stamina in the cardio circuit for 55+ multi-level class.
Led by a certified fitness instructor, strengthen and tone your body and burn calories using the variety of equipment in the Centre for Active Living cardio gym. Workouts are fun and dynamic, and participants are encouraged to work at their own pace.
Classes start Aug. 8 at 8:15 a.m.; call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Looking for activities to pass the time and shoot the breeze? The Kent Street Centre has activities meeting all summer long. The snooker room is open during centre hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. You can also keep active Wednesday and Friday mornings testing your skill at carpet bowling.
For those a bit more agile, table tennis beckons Saturday mornings and Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
Keep your mind active and sharp and stop in for an afternoon of cribbage or bid whist on Thursday afternoon, and fun bridge on Wednesday.
There is also contract bridge on Tuesday afternoons at the White Rock Community Centre.
At Centennial Park Leisure Centre there is (unsanctioned) duplicate bridge on Wednesday afternoons and partners bridge on Friday nights. Call 604-541-2231.
• A reminder that all White Rock Leisure Services locations will be closed on Monday, Aug. 5 for B.C. Day, re-opening Tuesday at 8:30 a.m.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent Street is open to persons 55 years of age or better. For more information, please call the Centre at 604-541-2231 or visit www.whiterockcity.ca