This Saturday, June 9, the Dramatics Group will be presenting A Theatre Variety Show. Come out for an afternoon of entertainment and enjoy monologues, one-act plays and scenes from well-known plays. The performance starts at 2:30 p.m. in the Kent Street auditorium and admission is by donation at the door.
• What would the month of June be without the Kent Street Strawberry Tea? This year’s tea is on Saturday, June 25, at 2 p.m. in the auditorium. Advance ticket sales only, so don’t forget to pick up your ticket on your next visit to the Kent Street office, or the White Rock Community Centre.
• Did you know that a number of the Kent Street activity groups take a break for July and August? Take advantage of your favourite activities and come out to participate in June. Remember to pick up your Kent Street Update “Schedule at a Glance” calendar of activities to find out which groups will continue throughout the summer. The last session for Stitch & Chat is this Friday, June 8. Keep well, bingo, the coffee shop and Wednesday dances wrap up in the last week of June.
• There are only two more Fresh and Lively Luncheons at Kent Street before summer break – Friday, June 8 and 15, from 12:30-2:30 p.m. Tickets are $7 and include lunch and entertainment. What a great way to get out of the house for the afternoon. You do need to reserve by calling Come Share Seniors Support Services at 604-531-9400.
• Capture the colours of summer on canvas with Painting Summer in Oils & Acrylics on Friday mornings, or Watercolour Painting on Wednesday nights. Classes start this week. Call 604-541-2199 for details and registration.
• The next Mature Driving Workshops are on June 12 and 25, from 9:30-11:30 a.m. These free sessions will help to assess and update your driving skills, habits and road regulations. Registration is required; call 604-541-2199.
• Elizabeth Carefoot is teaching a fabulous and fun one day Gypsy Dance Sampler class. This class will be based on Middle Eastern, flamenco and Eastern European gypsy styles and will be held on Wednesday, June 13, from 7-8:30 p.m. The cost is only $25 ($23M), call 604-541-2199 to register.
• The popular sounds of Johnny Hsu can be heard live on stage this week at the Kent Street Wednesday night dance. Singles, couples and non-members (50+) are welcome to the Kent Street auditorium. Doors open at 7 p.m., with dancing from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Refreshments and light snacks served.
• Gather your out-of-town guests and travel with Joy Brown to Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island on Wednesday, June 20, to see the magnificent old-growth rainforest, plus visit Cameron Lake Park for mesmerizing vistas. This fascinating trip includes lunch in the quaint village of Coombs. Call now to reserve your seat, at 604-541-2199.
• Catch the Zumba wave. Get your body moving to Latin rhythms for a fun and exhilarating workout. The next Zumba Gold class starts at 9 a.m. on June 27 at the Centre for Active Living. All fitness levels welcome – it’s like a dance party!
Please refer to pages 26 and 33 in the Leisure Guide for other Zumba classes and drop-in opportunities.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. For more information call 604-541-2231 or visit www.city.whiterock.bc.ca