Expected soon is the White Rock Summer Recreation Guide. Watch for the print copy in your Peace Arch News on May 27. You can view the diverse number of programs online now at webreg.whiterockcity.ca. Registration for members starts this Friday, May 22; and May 27 for non-members.
Register online, by phone or at Kent Street, Centennial Park or White Rock community centres.
There are 24 exciting day trips available ranging from festivals, to beautiful outdoor excursions. No need to stay home, the many opportunities will make your summer memorable.
• We have the fitness class for you. Whatever your strength or ability, White Rock Recreation and Culture has a variety of classes to meet your exercise needs. View the recreation guide to find out more about Stretch and Strength, Keep Fit for 60+, Balance for 65+, Get Up & Go, Cardio Circuit for 55+, Zumba and Yoga. Drop-ins are available for some classes.
• Looking for a safe and effective exercise for your osteoporosis? Sign up for Osteofit 1 or Osteofit for Life and learn how you can safely stay in shape and maintain long-term bone health. Held at the White Rock Community Centre, classes start the middle of June. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Join Get up and Go, an entry-level exercise program specially programmed for those with balance or mobility impairments. Progressive exercise will improve strength, balance, co-ordination and functional ability. Contact Fraser Health Fall and Injury Prevention at 604-587-7866 for a referral and bursary to attend classes at the White Rock Community Centre beginning in June.
• Art! Vancouver day trip is scheduled for May 22. Local and international art galleries and artists will showcase original, one-of-a-kind and innovative artwork. Stroll through the first international art fair to be held at the Vancouver Convention Centre. Call for more information and to register 604-541-2199.
• The Kent St. Choristers recently returned from a very successful senior chorfest in Sidney, B.C. You will have a chance to hear the Kent St. Choristers on Friday, May 22 at 7:30 p.m., at the First United Church. Tickets available from choir members or at the Kent Street Centre, $15 (children 12 & under are free).
• Spend a restorative day in mindfulness at the White Rock Community Centre on May 30. Leave behind the stresses and distractions of everyday life and develop inner peace and a spacious mind. Discover a deep happiness that arises naturally from within. Beginners and experienced welcome; bring a lunch for mindful-eating practise.
• Tennis is a lifetime sport that can be enjoyed by every age and any ability. So pick up a racket and get in the game. Join the adult beginner tennis lessons starting on June 8.
Players will develop basic ball control skills and learn the fundamentals of ground strokes, volleys and serves. Rules and scoring are also covered. Bring your own racket; balls provided. Call for more information and to register 604-541-2199.
• 2 Guys and a Gal will be playing at the Kent Street Wednesday night dance from 7:30-10:30 p.m., tickets at the door at 7 p.m. Refreshments served midway, singles and couples 50-plus welcome.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For more, call 604-541-2231.