All White Rock Leisure Services facilities are closed today (Tuesday) in observance of Remembrance Day.
Lest we forget, we remember and honour all those who made such profound sacrifices to defend our freedom. We also extend gratitude to the men and women who served and continue to serve during times of war, conflict and peace.
Leisure Services will re-open at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday.
• Take time to stop in at the White Rock Museum and Archives for a timely exhibit, entitled White Rock During the War Years.
While many went off to war, those who stayed home in White Rock also served: in the workforce, in convalescence, in voluntary service organizations – wherever they were needed.
Explore the history of White Rock at war through artifacts from the museum’s collection, archival photos and drawings, and a series of letters to and from Canadians at war. Exhibit closes Nov. 17.
• Learn how to protect yourself from identity theft and identity frauds on Nov. 18 at 9 a.m. at the White Rock Community Centre (WRCC).
This free workshop is co-sponsored with White Rock Community Policing.
Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• It’s not too late to sign up for the free Mature Driving workshop scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 20 at the WRCC.
Update your knowledge of vehicle safety features and road regulations, as well as self-assess your skills.
The two-hour presentation starts at 9 a.m., and is co-sponsored by White Rock Community Policing and BCAA Traffic Safety.
• Learn the techniques of acting with the Community Theatre Arts Group.
This instructional program is directed by Monika Marko, who attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York and appeared in numerous films, series and stage productions.
Create your character and be part of a play in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. No experience necessary.
Meetings are Wednesdays from 7-9 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
Call 604-541-2199 for more information.
• Do you own an iPhone or IPad and aren’t quite sure how to personalize it?
Learn how to change settings, check for emails and discover the world of apps and iCloud settings.
Space is still available for the Nov. 21 iPad course and Nov. 22 iPhone class, both at the WRCC.
Call for more information and to register 604-541-2199.
• Calling all knitters, quilters, stitchers and sewers.
Bring your own fibre project to the Kent Street Activity Centre on Fridays from 1-3 p.m. and join in on the Stitch & Chat.
What a great way to swap tips and share ideas.
Visitors are welcome; ask for your guest pass at the front counter.
• Ready to take your artwork to the next level? Add another dimension with the Mixed Media with Image Transfer Techniques workshop on Nov. 28 at the WRCC. This hands-on class lets you explore the possibilities of using creative imagery in your work. Great for artists of all levels wishing to add more depth to their work. All supplies are included. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.