Here is another White Rock teaser, as we head towards celebrating the city’s 60th birthday.
In 1960, the City of White Rock changed the name of the street running along the beach to Marine Drive. What was it called before 1960? If you guessed Washington Avenue you are correct!
White Rock will be 60 years old on Saturday, April 15. To recognize this very special birthday we are having a Seniors Diamond Anniversary luncheon from noon to 2 p.m. in the Centre for Active Living. Enjoy a delicious sit down lunch and entertainment by ‘Nearly Neil”, a fabulous Neil Diamond impersonator and Alyssa Nielsen who sings the music of Patsy Cline.
If you would like to attend this luncheon, please call 604-541-2199, drop into any White Rock Recreation Centre or visit online at www.whiterockcity.ca/register
Cost is $10 per person.
• It is officially spring this week, so there is no better time to peruse a copy of the White Rock Recreation and Culture Spring/Summer Recreation Guide.
View it online at www.whiterockcity.ca/register
Print copies are at all recreation facilities. Registration starts on Monday, March 27 for members and on Wednesday, March 29 for non-members.
Watch for your copy of the guide in the Peace Arch News on Friday, March 24.
• You won’t want to miss Kent Street Activity Centre’s New Members Social.
Whether you are new to the centre or just wanting to check it out, mark Monday, March 21, 2-3:30 p.m., on your calendar and find out about all the exciting activities and programs offered.
New this year will be two 20-minute classes of Zumba Gold and Boomer Fit for you to try out or just observe. Call 604-541-2231 for more information or to register for this free event.
• The Lunch Club (formally the Dining Club) will be meeting for lunch at the Tap Restaurant in South Surrey.
Call the Kent Street Activity Centre at 604-541-2231 for the name and phone number of this month’s hostess.
• Beginning Thursday, April 20, 4-6 p.m., Kent Street Activity Centre is offering another class of Tasty Connections.
Are you bored with cooking alone? Create new meal ideas, change up the old familiar dishes and learn to have fun in the kitchen again. Call 604-541-2199 to register for this popular program.
• Two hundred singers from seniors choirs around B.C. will present a gala concert of Canadian music on Thursday, April 20, 7:30 p.m., at the White Rock Baptist Church.
Tickets are available at the Kent Street Activity Centre or from any Kent Street Chorister member.
• Drop down to Kent Street Activity Centre for the Wednesday night dance in the auditorium.
Doors open at 7 p.m. and, this week, Quartette will be on stage from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Everyone 50+ is welcome.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.