When it’s cold outside, homemade soups are a treat. They are both nutritious and delicious. Join Kent Street’s Pat Faulkner to prepare a variety of cream- and broth-based soups: minestrone, shrimp bisque, wild mushroom, roasted tomato and more.
Soups and Quick Breads three-session class starts on Feb. 9 at 9:30 a.m. Call 604-541-2231 to register.
• You are invited to join cribbage and bid whist’s active players every Thursday at Kent Street from 1-3 p.m. Newcomers are welcome to a three-visit guest pass.
Feeling lucky? Come out and play in the crib tournaments the fourth Friday of each month from 12:45-4 p.m. at Kent Street and win prizes.
• No need to dine alone – the Kent Street Dining Club meets for lunch the last Tuesday of each month at a different local restaurant. This month, the group will be meeting at Kiki’s in South Surrey.
Call 604-541-2231 if you are interested in joining this social group.
• Free legal advice is available at Kent Street the first Wednesday of each month. Local lawyer Al Benson will help seniors 55-plus on low income with legal queries and problems.
Call 604-541-2231 to reserve your spot for Feb. 1.
• Come in from the cold for Tea with the Stars: a warm cup of tea and movie in the White Rock Community Centre Gallery. Chicago is adapted from the satirical stage musical of the same name, exploring the themes of celebrity, scandal and corruption in jazz-age Chicago.
Call the Centre to reserve your seat for the Feb. 1 presentation.
• Are you or do you know someone who is always drumming their hands and tapping their toes?
There are some fun rhythm workshops coming up at the White Rock Community Centre. See page 21 of the Winter Leisure Guide or call 604-541-2199 for more information on hand drum and percussion technique, rhythm wellness playshop and drum circle sessions.
No experience necessary – open to those aged 19 to 99. Sign up now!
• The Kent Street auditorium is open Wednesday evenings from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. for those 50-plus who enjoy live music, friendly people and social dancing.
Tickets are available at the door. Tomorrow’s live band is the popular Quartette.
• The Kent Street Seniors Society has a fundraising initiative that needs your help! They are asking that you take your recyclables, such as pop cans, beer, wine and water bottles, to the Semiahmoo Bottle Depot at 28-15515- 24 Ave. and ask for the money to be donated to the Kent Street Senior Society account.
All the funds generated from your donation of recyclables will contribute to the Kent Street Coffee Shop renovations.
Please pass this on to your friends and family. Thank you!
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities please call the Centre at 604-541-2231 or visit www.whiterockcity.ca