Things are looking up, as Kent Street’s long-awaited elevator is now operational. Come visit the Kent Street Coffee Shop for a delicious bowl of soup, scrumptious sandwich and some fantastically fresh baking. Drop in between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. Cheerful volunteers will be happy to serve you.
• The White Rock Leisure Services Dramatics group will be presenting A Theatre Variety Show in the Kent Street auditorium on Saturday, Nov. 26 at 2:30 p.m. This fun event features scenes from some of your favourite plays. Admission is by donation.
• Are you at risk for osteoporosis? Exercise can help to reduce the rate of bone loss, and can help strengthen muscles and improve balance, thereby reducing the risk of falls and fractures. Sign up now for the three-week introduction to Osteofit 1. The weekly classes start Dec. 5 at 9:45 a.m. at the White Rock Community Centre, 15154 Russell Ave. If you have already completed an osteofit course, the next Osteofit for Life class starts Dec. 5 at 11 a.m.
• Get ready to deck the halls. Make your own Christmas table centrepiece using a variety of evergreens and fragrant conifers. Add cones, berries, branches, beads and mini sparkling ornaments for a personal touch that will wow your holiday guests. This hands-on afternoon workshop is on Monday, Dec. 12 at 2 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre. All supplies are included. Call 604-541-2199 to register. An evening class is available Dec. 5.
• Enjoy the popular tunes of Sweet Water tomorrow night at the Kent Street Wednesday Dance. Always a popular band, come and dance the night away – couples and singles 50 years and older welcome. Doors open 7 p.m., with the music playing from 7:30 – 10:30 p.m., and a light snack at 9 p.m.
• It’s not too late to get your flu shot. Drop into Kent Street on Monday, Nov. 21 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. for a friendly jab from Fraser Health. This is the last advertised drop-in clinic. If you prefer an appointment, call Fraser Health at 604-542-4000.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members welcome. For more information, call 604-541-2231.