When Mark Nagra was 19, he got a job at a mattress store. And on his very first day they asked him to work on the sales floor.
“I said, ‘I can’t! I don’t know the products!’”
He asked his co-workers for information on foams, springs and mattress construction, and started studying.
“I did more studying in a week than I’d done in all of high school! I wanted to give customers the best service possible,” he says.
At the age of 19, Mark had found his calling. 33 years later he’s still in the industry — he’s the co-owner of WR Mattress in South Surrey and MN Mattress in Parksville, he’s worked with factories to design high-tech mattresses like the NewGen and Ironman Pure Energy, and he’s still on the sales floor sharing knowledge with customers.
“My favourite part is still talking to customers,” he says.
Serious product knowledge
Raman Dhaliwal wasn’t even born when Mark got his start in the ’80s. The two met a few decades later, when Raman was managing a copy centre and Mark came in for business services.
“She gave unbelievable customer service. Clients were constantly handing her business cards, trying to recruit her — including me,” Mark says. “I asked her to be co-owner and store manager of WR Mattress. It’s the best decision I’ve ever made.”
Raman, like all WR Mattress staff, has learned the industry inside and out — employees must study and answer a 200+ question quiz before they can work on the sales floor.
“Especially when it comes to people’s health, it’s important to stay up-to-date,” Mark says. “And it’s clear that it’s working, based on our customer reviews.”
Fantastic customer reviews
- Google: 4.9 star average rating with 315 reviews; 308 are four or five stars. “We went to all of the local mattress stores, but WR Mattress stood out among all of them. Huge shout out to Raman who is a mattress expert, who educated us on what the best option was, for our specific needs.”
- Facebook: 4.9 star average rating with 51 reviews. “All I knew was that I slept well on hotel mattresses but had no idea what material or firmness that meant. Jaime immediately directed us towards a hybrid coil/latex mattress and I am so grateful she did.”
- Better Business Bureau: 4.98 star average rating with 167 reviews. “Raman, Jamie, Dave and Mark took the time to listen to my sleep problems and gave professional suggestions with no pressure sales.”
- BBB A+ Rating: Based on the BBB’s analysis, not customer reviews.
- BBB People’s Pick Torch Award: 1st Place, 2017, Mainland Vancouver
Local, sustainable, comfortable
Mark says most people come to WR Mattress because a friend has told them about the Ironman Pure Energy — the mattress he designed to help athletes and people suffering from chronic pain, using all the knowledge he’s acquired over three decades in the industry.
The store also sells furniture and cabinet beds, with a focus on sustainable materials, BC manufacturers, and quality, affordable products. Visit WR Mattress Gallery at 2390 152nd Street., South Surrey to learn from the best!