Widening of 192 Street from 40 Avenue north to Colebrook Road is currently underway; the yet-to-be-scheduled Phase 3 will focus on 32 Avenue south to 16 Avenue. (Aaron Hinks photo)

$10M to widen South Surrey road

Contract for 192 Street work awarded to Tybo

Surrey council has awarded a contract for the second phase of a project that is widening a stretch of 192 Street from 16 Avenue to Colebrook Road.

On a vote of 8-1 Monday evening, with Coun. Steven Pettigrew opposed, the $10,374,000 task of widening the thoroughfare between 32 and 40 Avenues in South Surrey was awarded to Tybo Contracting Ltd.

Widening of 192 Street from 40 Avenue north to Colebrook Road is currently underway; the yet-to-be-scheduled Phase 3 will focus on 32 Avenue south to 16 Avenue.

According to a corporate report, the package that was awarded Monday includes installation of a storm sewer and water main, as well as a new traffic signal at 192 Street and 36 Avenue, “to improve access and circulation in the area.”

The report notes 192 Street from 32 to 36 Avenue is to be widened to four lanes with a median, left-turn bays, cycle tracks, multi-use paths and lighting; 36 to 40 Avenue is to be widened to three lanes, with two-way left-turn lanes, left-turn bays, bike lanes, sidewalks and lighting.

The water main is for 32 Avenue, between 192 and 194 Street.

Phase 1 had been anticipated to take 250 days to complete, if 192 Street remained open to traffic during construction.

The report notes that permission from the city to close 192 Street from 40 Avenue to 48 Avenue reduced that timeline by 64 per cent, to 90 working days.

The resulting savings on inspection and administration costs is estimated at $80,000, or 27 per cent, the report notes.

Based on the accelerated completion, a temporary road closure is to be part of Phase 2, with the contractor given 100 days to complete the work, the report states.

With council approval, work on Phase 2 was expected to begin this month and wrap up by November.

The city received four bids on the work, ranging from Tybo’s $10,374,000 to a $12,246,799.85 bid by Crown Contracting Limited, the report states.

The report notes Tybo’s “past performance on similar work has been satisfactory.”

Pettigrew, however, said he opposed awarding Tybo the contract, “as they still have not completed outstanding issues with the 105 connector.”

“I’ve talked to staff about this before I was elected and after I was elected,” Pettigrew told council.

“They’ve got several outstanding issues and I think until they address those issues that they should not be doing additional work for the city.”



tholmes@peacearchnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

VIDEO: Gone Country success means so much to cancer patient

Mother of three, recovering from breast cancer treatment, makes it to seventh annual charity concert

Police ask for help locating missing men who were last seen in South Surrey

Jeep that Richard Scurr and Ryan Provencher were in has been located unoccupied in Logan Lake: RCMP

PHOTOS: White Rock Renegades play at Softball City

The ‘04 and ‘03 White Rock Renegades both played in South Surrey Sunday

White Rock’s Lady Alexandra hearing date postponed

Lawyers are scheduled to sit before a judge this week

White Rock pride flag raising ceremony to be held Friday

Pride Society to host sold-out event the following day

VIDEO: Bystander training gains traction as tool to prevent sexual harassment, violence

Julia Gartley was sexually assaulted after an event, and no one stepped in to help

Two brands of ice cream sandwiches recalled due to presence of metal

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency issued a recall on Iceberg and Originale Augustin brands

Sexual assaults, extortion on the rise even as crime rates stay low: Stats Canada

Rates of police-reported sexual assault rose for the fourth year in a row

Vancouver Island teens missing after vehicle found ablaze near Dease Lake, BC

RCMP say a body discovered nearby not one of the missing teens

A year later, ceremony commemorates victims of the Danforth shooting

It’s the one-year anniversary of when a man opened fire along the bustling street before shooting and killing himself

Japanese Canadians call on B.C. to go beyond mere apology for historic racism

The federal government apologized in 1988 for its racism against ‘enemy aliens’

B.C. VIEWS: NDP pushes ahead with Crown forest redistribution

This isn’t the time for a radical Indigenous rights agenda

Ottawa fights planned class action against RCMP for bullying, intimidation

The current case is more general, applying to employees, including men, who worked for the RCMP

Most Read

l -->