Another 15 months in prison for Surrey rapist

Jeremy Voakes sentenced for 2010 violent sexual assault.

Jeremy Voakes has been sentenced to 15 months in jail for sexually assaulting a woman in Surrey in 2010. His name will also be added to the national sex offender registry.

A convicted Surrey sex offender will spend another 15 months in jail for raping a teen more than three years ago.

Jeremy Lee Voakes, 26, was handed the sentence last week in New Westminster Supreme Court.

In February, Justice John Truscott found him guilty of sexual assault with a weapon and assault in connection with an attack in June 2010 in Surrey. He was acquitted on a third charge of unlawful confinement.

The court heard that Voakes forced himself on a young woman, who was then in her late teens, threatened her with a metal pole, hit her repeatedly and called her degrading names.

The victim, who cannot be identified due to a court-ordered publication ban, testified that she was 19 when Voakes dragged her into his bedroom by the hair, calling her a “whore” and a “trick” before demanding she take off her pants. Each time she said no to his demands, she said, he would strike her with his hand.

The woman said he only let her leave when she told him a friend was expecting her and would come looking for her. She said it was her friend who convinced her to call police about the attack. More than 20 photos of bruises and abrasions on various parts of her body were entered as evidence during the trial.

In September 2012, Voakes was the subject of a Surrey RCMP manhunt and police issued a photo of him due to an outstanding warrant on the sex assault and related charges. He was arrested shortly after and has been in custody since.

Voakes has a history of assault. In 2009, he was convicted of assault with a weapon in connection with a Surrey incident, and in 2006, he faced an assault charge in Nanaimo but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of fear of injury and damage to property.

In addition to the jail term, Voakes’ latest sentence includes a lifetime firearms ban and the submission of a DNA sample. His name will be also be added to the national sex offender registry.

Just Posted

Metamorphosis returns to White Rock’s Memorial Park

Joan Miriam Adams’ sculpture more prominently displayed on waterfront

Senator speaks to South Surrey students

Yonah Martin visited Earl Marriott Secondary on Jan. 16

VIDEO: Three-peat for Semiahmoo at basketball’s Surrey RCMP Classic

South Surrey-based squad tops Lord Tweedsmuir in final at Enver Creek gym

Tardi earns first victory in quest for third national title

A Langley-based junior curling team is in Prince Albert, Sask. for the Canadian championships.

VIDEO: Surrey-based business wants customers to ‘Eat the Dishes’

New business plans to be one of the ongoing vendors at KPU’s new winter market

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

VIDEO: Koch’s OT winner sends Giants to sixth straight victory

Three games, three cities, three victories for Lower Mainland-based G-Men’s major junior hockey team.

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

VIDEO: Giants wrap southern swing with 6-4 win in Spokane

The Lower Mainland-based hockey team defeated the Chiefs Friday night.

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Most Read

l -->