Hundreds of students walk across Semiahmoo Secondary's athletic fields during an evacuation Tuesday morning. The evacuation – which sent students and staff home for the day – was a response to an anonymous bomb threat.

Bomb threat that closed high school viewed as ‘public mischief’

Students, staff sent home from Semiahmoo Secondary Tuesday morning.

An anonymous bomb threat that shut down Semiahmoo Secondary Tuesday is now being treated as a “public mischief investigation,” according to Surrey RCMP.

The school was back to running normally on Wednesday and Surrey RCMP spokesman Cpl. Bert Paquet said extensive examination of the school by the emergency response team had turned up no evidence of a bomb.

“There was no device found, and nothing jeopardizing student and staff safety,” he said.

The investigation is now in the hands of the Surrey RCMP Youth Section.

“We’re following up on some leads,” he said, adding that, while they’re not divulging details, the evidence police are looking at “definitely has to do with the means by which the threat was conveyed.”

Police were alerted that a bomb threat had been received shortly before 10:30 a.m.,Tuesday, in a call from school principal Bea Hadikin.

Students and staff were evacuated immediately, and students were subsequently advised they were being sent home, as investigators and the emergency response team continued to investigate.

“It’s in the hands of the fire and police personnel to do their sweeps of the school,” Surrey School District spokesperson Doug Strachan commented later in the morning, confirming that all staff and students had been evacuated and were on their way home.

Officials were reportedly searching areas surrounding the school, located at 1785 148 St.

Shortly after 11 a.m., various emergency personnel could be seen walking toward a wooded area just east of the school building.

Vehicle and pedestrian access to 148 Street between 17 Avenue and 20 Avenue was also closed off during Tuesday morning, Paquet said.

Fire crews assisted for a time, he said, and police were in contact with the RCMP explosive-disposal unit.

Although it’s now being looked at as a case of public mischief, Paquet noted that bomb threats are always taken “extremely seriously.”

“A risk-assessment was done based on the information we had at the time,” he added.

“It was serious enough that, for obvious safety reasons, the officers attending evacuated the school and sent all students, teachers and staff home for the remainder of the day.”

 

By midday, the Semiahmoo Secondary website was reporting the site had been cleared and was “deemed safe” by police.

 

– with files from Nick Greenizan

 

Just Posted

VIDEO: 5X Festival takes over Surrey’s Central City plaza

Second annual event draws thousands of people throughout the day

City shifts proposed transit station to King George after cancellation of LRT

Council to consider Newton Town Centre plan in fall

VIDEO: Plane makes forced landing on Highway 17 in Surrey

Police say no one was injured and no damage to aircraft or vehicles

Nearly 200 motorcycles take off from Cloverdale for Brenden’s Ride

Annual fundraiser supports programs that empower people with disabilities

Surrey Schools estimates $350K for tampon, pad dispenser installation

District aims to have equipment set up by October or November

10 facts about Father’s Day

Did you know that the special day for dads was first celebrated in 1910?

Bombers down B.C. Lions 33-23 in season opener

Former Lion Andrew Harris leads Winnipeg with 148 rushing yards

Northern B.C. family remembers murdered Indigenous woman with memorial walk

Still no closure for Ramona Wilson’s family 25 years later

Pride flag taken down by Township of Langley

Woman said she was told it was removed from her front yard because of a complaint

B.C. university to offer mentorship program for former youth in care

Students using the provincial tuition waiver program will soon be able to form a community at KPU

Cyclists competing in one of the toughest bike races on the planet pass through Fernie

Divide riders looking strong as they finish first leg of 4160 km race

You might not know these B.C. records are public

Hired a lawyer to file a civil claim? Those are published online

B.C. bus driver loses case to get job back after texting while driving full bus

An arbitator ruled that Tim Wesman’s phone usage was a “a reckless disregard for public safety”

Revamped B.C. Lions set to battle veteran Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Lions’ first test of the season will be a big one

Most Read

l -->