A bylaw amendment to enable Bosa's Miramar Village second phase

Bosa towers to proceed

White Rock council waives public hearing on second phase of Miramar Village, approves zoning amendment

The second phase of Bosa Properties’ Miramar Village has received the go-ahead from White Rock council.

Monday, council unanimously gave first and second readings to the necessary bylaw amendment for the once-contentious project, which will build 17-storey and 14-storey towers on the current site of the Hillcrest Mall, south of Miramar’s two existing towers.

Plans include a grocery store and ground-floor commercial units, as well as a main public plaza area.

While there was an option to hold a further public hearing on the zoning bylaw, council voted to waive it on the basis that “plans are consistent with the official community plan” and that “no significant objections or issues were received” at the Jan. 18 public-information meeting.

The bylaw amendment was necessitated by an error made in 2013, when the development application was updated, in which a 2006 plan for the second phase was attached instead of a revised plan from 2011.

The council decision followed the recommendations of a staff report on the zoning amendment to the land use and planning committee earlier that evening.

“I see this as a housekeeping issue,” Coun. Bill Lawrence said. “I don’t see any problem with it.”

The report, from the city’s acting director of planning Greg St. Louis, acknowledged residents had expressed concerns over the height of the buildings, any additional highrises, traffic and view impacts and the capacity of existing infrastructure to handle new development.

In a later discussion approving the continuation of the White Rock Farmers Market at Miramar Plaza through this year and the Christmas on the Peninsula event slated for Nov. 25, Coun. Megan Knight wondered whether construction would affect either event.

St. Louis told council he doesn’t “anticipate construction work to be scheduled for a year at least.”

Asked about that timeline after the meeting, St. Louis suggested checking the Bosa website for updates. It currently lists the second phase only as “coming in spring 2017,” with completion by “winter 2020.”

 

Just Posted

South Surrey students, staff prepare for 15th Christmas dinner

Deadline to register for festive affair at Elgin Park Secondary is Nov. 27

South Surrey man and city settle beef over backyard cow

Asad Syed, who kept a calf on his property last year, met City of Surrey in court Tuesday

UPDATE: ‘Hold and secure’ at Elgin Park Secondary lifted

‘No evidence located to substantiate a threat,’ says Surrey RCMP

Surrey RCMP doesn’t expect big hit in light of projected $10M cut in B.C. budget

Public safety minister says RCMP informed province about projected budget deficit

Surrey’s Sourdif among A-list ‘Players to Watch’ for NHL Entry Draft in Monteal next June

The right-shot forward has eight goals and nine assists with Vancouver Giants this season

VIDEO: Disney Plus adds disclaimer about racist stereotypes

Disney’s disclaimer is a good way to begin discussion about the larger issue of racism

First Nations ‘optimistic’ about road upgrades after Horgan visits site of fatal bus crash

Premier travelled Bamfield Main road, where bus flipped last September and two students were killed

Delays seen on some Metro Vancouver bus routes as transit strike ramps up

According to TransLink, routes in downtown Vancouver are bearing the brunt of the delays

Princeton couple pays for dream vacation with 840,000 grocery store points

It’s easy if you know what you are doing, they say

B.C. man facing 18 charges after hidden camera found in Kelowna winery washroom

The camera was found at Summerhill Winery on Aug. 23

No new rules needed to ensure timely youth justice, Supreme Court says

Charter of Rights and Freedoms says someone charged with an offence has the right to be tried within a reasonable time

Seguin lifts surging Stars to 4-2 win over Canucks

Dallas is 6-0-1 in last seven outings

UPDATE: Metro Vancouver bus drivers to refuse overtime as transit strike escalates

Overtime ban could disrupt 10-15 per cent of bus service in Metro Vancouver

Most Read

l -->