Oz Oskam and son Ben comb through the wreckage.

Christmas Day arson leaves South Surrey family homeless

Neighbours are scrambling to help a South Surrey man left homeless in a Christmas Day arson.

Everything is gone.

The TV, couch, clothes, volleyball medals, video games, soccer photos, nearly all the family mementos… all of them gone with the strike of a match.

That was Oz Oskam’s realization when he arrived back at his South Surrey apartment Tuesday, after two days spent camping in Manning Park with his children – his home having been the target of Christmas Day thieves who apparently doused the home in gasoline and lit it on fire as they left.

“We had a great Christmas together in the morning, and then we left,” Oskam said Friday, as he and son Ben picked through the rubble left in the fire’s wake.

“We came back, and they’d just taken anything of value – almost all the electronics, all the Christmas presents, $400 in gift cards.

“And what they didn’t take is melted now. It’s just horrible.”

The family cat is also missing.

Hallway damageThe fire – in a first-floor apartment at Somerset Gardens I, 1821 Southmere Cres. E. – broke out just after 11:30 p.m.

According to the Surrey Fire Department, the blaze was quickly confined to contents of the apartment, causing “moderate damage.”

Contacted Friday, Surrey RCMP said they did not know anything of a potential arson investigation.

Though no one was injured, Oskam’s neighbour, Jaimie McIntyre, said “everybody (in the building) is emotionally shaken-up, especially since someone had broken in and thrown gasoline around.”

McIntyre said it is also fortunate that residents took the fire alarm seriously, even though the building is prone to false alarms.

She said she and her husband had just retired for the night when the alarm sounded, and she joined several residents to investigate in the hallways.

“I couldn’t see anything or smell anything, but then I and a girlfriend went down the small hallway to his door and there was smoke billowing out of the front door.

“My girlfriend put her hand on the door and said ‘we’re hot – everybody out now.'”

Hammering on doors roused sleepy residents, who were quickly evacuated, McIntyre said.

“It’s just something you have to do,” she said. “You put differences aside and look out for each other.”

All Oskam has now, he said, are the pants he had on, a few trinkets, a couple of pots and pans – all of which reek of gasoline – and a police file number.

“All the stuff you don’t give a crap about, nothing meaningful, that’s what’s left.”

Couch damageThe father of five – a longtime soccer and volleyball coach in the community – said he’s fallen on tough times in recent years. He’s suffered numerous injuries and had 15 surgeries in four years, with another planned for early January.

He let his home insurance lapse two years ago, he said.

“In nine years that I’ve lived here, we never had a single problem, and I needed the money for other things,” he said.

“I’m kicking myself in the ass about that now.

“I still sometimes think I’m going to wake up and this will all be a dream… I’ve got the worst luck in the world the last few years.”

More than anything, Oskam said, he was at a loss to explain what type of person would commit such a crime.

“I understand the theft. There are bad people out there who do this type of thing, so I get that. What I don’t get is the damage. I’m just really angry right now,” he said.

“We’re not living right now, we’re scrambling. That’s all we’re doing.”

Oskam and his children are currently staying in a friend’s trailer, something for which he’s extremely grateful.

Sports memories

“Thank God we have such wonderful friends,” he said.

“We have received such great support, I have five children who are doing good things, I have a three-month-old grandchild and another son who is getting married. In that sense, I’m very lucky – I’m not forgetting that.”

McIntyre has established a fund through TD Canada Trust for those wishing to help the Oskams.

Donations to the fund (9993-6479907) can be made at the TD Canada Trust Branch at 15110 North Bluff Rd. (Central Plaza).

– with files from Alex Browne

 

Just Posted

McCallum’s canal pitch took Surrey councillors by surprise

City government has more important issues pressing than building a canal, councillors say

South Surrey senior ‘irate’ over policing-transition venue change

Pat Anderson says she disagrees with the transition plan – but never got a chance to say so

White Rock water testing well within Health Canada guidelines

Drinking water more than measuring up to current standards, Dr. Saad Jasim tells council

Cloverdale Toastmasters celebrate 25 years of learning and laughter

Cloverdale club is a high achieving, yet laid-back Toastmasters group

Surrey RCMP conducting drug-related search warrant

Traffic closed in both directions on 128th Street, between 64th and 66th Avenue

VIDEO: ‘Avengers: Endgame’ to be re-released with new footage

‘Avatar’ holds global box office record at $2.788 billion, while ‘Endgame’ stands at $2.743 billion…

B.C. teen killed by falling tree near Victoria

Second youth also injured in freak incident during field trip at Camp Barnard near Sooke

Elias Pettersson wins Calder Trophy as NHL’s top rookie

Vancouver forward first Canuck to win award since Pavel Bure in 1992

FVRD chair calls B.C. incineration plan for Philippines waste ‘disturbing’

Metro Vancouver ‘uniquely capable’ of safely disposing of waste coming back to Canada, say officials

VIDEO: Acknowledging skeptics, finance minister vows to build Trans Mountain project

Bill Morneau said he recognizes ‘huge amount of anxiety’ in Calgary over future of oil and gas sector

Shovels could be in the ground on Trans Mountain by September, CEO says

Ian Anderson points to weeks likely required for NEB to reinstate 2016 regulatory record

Scorpion gives birth after hitching ride in B.C. woman’s luggage

A Vancouver woman inadvertently brought the animal home from a trip to Cuba

RCMP allows officers to grow beards

Members can now wear beards and goatees, as long as they’re neatly groomed

Girl, 10, poisoned by carbon monoxide at B.C. campsite could soon return home

Lucille Beaurain died and daughter Micaela Walton, 10, was rushed to B.C. Children’s Hospital on May 18

Most Read

l -->