City urged to reject tower proposal

White Rock residents launch petition opposing Oxford Street development.

The site of a proposed highrise development at 1454 Oxford St.

A group of White Rock residents have collected more than 1,000 signatures on a petition opposing a development proposal for twin highrise towers on Oxford Street.

Launched close to two months ago, the petition calls on the city to reject the development proposal from Richmond-based Elegant Development, and has garnered more than 1,100 signatures at last count, according to organizer Debbie Lawrance.

The development in question is proposed for a 2.7-acre parcel of land at 1454 Oxford St. – currently owned by Epcor, the Edmonton-based firm that owns the city’s water utility – and would include two highrise towers, 24 and 21 storeys in height.

Before the development can be approved by council, official community plan (OCP) amendments and rezoning would need to take place.

According to Lawrance, those opposed to the proposal feel the height and density of the project are not appropriate for the neighbourhood.

“From the petition point of view, the height is not at all complementary to the OCP zoning in a low-rise residential area,” she said.

Lawrance said she and other residents have been collecting signatures door-to-door in the community, as well as at the Farmer’s Market every Sunday.

Earlier this month, she submitted the petition to the city, and on Sunday sent copies to Epcor and City of Edmonton officials, highlighting some citizens’ concerns.

She said the group will continue the efforts throughout the summer, and plans to bring the petition back to the city in the fall, hopefully with close to 2,000 signatures.

“If nothing else, we’re raising awareness around the development,” she said. “Whether people agree or disagree, we want people to make informed and educated choices as to why they are or why they aren’t supporting such endeavours.”

The proposed Oxford development has been the source of debate since it was first presented at a public-information meeting in April 2014. Those against the project cited noise, traffic and tree-loss as main concerns, as well as its non-conformity with the OCP.

According to the city’s director of planning and development, the proposal is scheduled to be brought to the city’s advisory design panel on July 21. A report to council on how to deal with applications requiring OCP amendments, such as the Oxford development, is expected to be brought to council July 27.

Just Posted

Homelessness group puts pressure on White Rock council

Peninsula Homeless to Housing task force brought forward three action steps for council

Stabbing at Surrey banquet hall sends man to hospital

RCMP says victim has ‘non-life threatening’ injuries, incident still under investigation

South Surrey parking ticket perplexes, frustrates

Theresa Delaney predicts more people will be wrongly ticketed

55-year-old man taken to hospital after fire at Surrey RV park

Firefighters find man suffering from smoke inhalation, burns to face and hands: battalion chief

B.C. students win Great Waters Challenge video contest

Video, mural and song about saving the salmon claims the top prize

B.C. athlete takes home gold in freestyle aerials at Canada Games

Brayden Kuroda won the event with a combined score of 121.65.

Pedestrian in serious condition after hit by car downtown Abbotsford

A youth was also hit, suffered minor injuries, police say

Cabinet likely to extend deadline to reconsider Trans Mountain pipeline

The can’t decide the pipeline’s fate until a new round of consultations with Indigenous communities

B.C. government provides $75,000 towards salmon study

Study looks at abundance and health of Pacific salmon in Gulf of Alaska

Murdered and missing honoured at Stolen Sisters Memorial March in B.C.

‘We come together to make change within the systems in our society’

UBC researchers develop inexpensive tool to test drinking water

The tricoder can test for biological contamination in real-time

Disgraced ex-Congressman Anthony Weiner released from prison

He was convicted of having illicit online contact with a 15-year-old North Carolina girl in 2017

Most Read

l -->