It’s been eight years since Gordon Spencer (pictured), and cousin, ‘Lil’ Bruce Mayo, were gunned down in a home in Langley, and Spencer’s widow is hoping someone who knows something will step up (file)

It’s been eight years since Gordon Spencer (pictured), and cousin, ‘Lil’ Bruce Mayo, were gunned down in a home in Langley, and Spencer’s widow is hoping someone who knows something will step up (file)

Eight years on and still no answers in Langley double murder

Wife of victim makes public appeal for people with information to come forward

The last time she spoke to police about the Langley murder of her husband, Gordon Spencer, Surrey resident Mandy Frost said it sounded like the investigators had an idea of who might be responsible.

“They said, it isn’t what they know, it’s what they can prove,” Frost told the Langley Advance Times.

That was two years ago.

She hasn’t been able to bring herself to call police again.

“I just kind of gave up.”

READ ALSO: Fatal shooting now a double murder

In the eight years since Spencer was murdered in a Langley house, both his parents have died without knowing if anyone would be charged with his slaying, Frost said.

She has decided to go public, again, in hopes that it might move someone with information about the double homicide to come forward and contact police.

“We [his family] need closure,” Frost told the Langley Advance Times.

“It’s frustrating.”

Spencer, and cousin, ‘Lil’ Bruce Mayo, were gunned down in a home in Langley on June 23, 2012.

Around 2:30 a.m., Langley RCMP responded to a 911 call about a domestic dispute at a rented home in the 6400 block of Glover Road and arrive to find Spencer, 27, dead from gunshot wounds and Mayo, 25, in critical condition.

Mayo died later in hospital.

Neither man was a resident of the house, police said.

Police said the interior of the house had been laced with bear spray.

Five people were arrested at the scene, four men and one woman, between the ages of 17 and 22. They were interviewed and released without charges.

READ MORE: Milner murder home burns down

Three weeks after the shootings, the house where the murders happened burned to the ground under what police termed suspicious circumstances.

In 2017, five years after the double murder, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) said the file is still active and no charges had been laid.

The case was described as “still ongoing.”

Foster said the two men, who did not reside at the house, were “good men,” and they have families who mourn their loss.

Spencer and Frost had been together for nine years and had three children.

Spencer had a criminal past, but hadn’t been trouble since he was released from jail, three years before he died, according to Foster, who described him as “a great dad.”

They were planning to get married.

The night she saw Spencer alive for the final time, she recalled he said, “‘I love you,’ and ‘bye,’ and that’s the last time I saw him.”

Langley Advance Times has reached out to IHIT for comment.

Anyone with information that relates to an ongoing homicide case, is asked to contact the IHIT information line at 1-877-551-4448 or email ihitinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

To remain anonymous, call B.C. Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.



dan.ferguson@langleyadvancetimes.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

double homicideIHITLangleySurrey

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Wickson Pier in Crescent Beach is closed to the public, as work to replace and repair piles continues. (Susan Richards de Wit photo)
PHOTOS: Repairs to Crescent Beach pier complete

$180,000 Wickson Pier project included pile replacement, says City of Surrey parks manager

Steve ‘Elvis’ Elliott performs for residents of Amica White Rock. Exercise-to-music programs that led to a threat of city fines due to a noise complaint are to resume next week. (Contributed file photo)
COVID-19 outbreak declared at Amica White Rock

Peace Portal Seniors Village outbreak declared over

B.C.’s parliament buildings in Victoria. (Photo: Tom Fletcher)
Surrey gets two cabinet ministers, a parliamentary secretary and government whip

Premier John Horgan’s NDP MLAs were sworn in on Tuesday and the cabinet was revealed Thursday afternoon

The Festival of Lights; Jingle Bell White Rock; and the Lighted Boat Parade all helped light up the White Rock waterfront on Saturday, Dec. 7. (Aaron Hinks photo)
White Rock Festival of Lights postponed

While event founder remains optimistic, the future of this year’s display is uncertain

Surrey city Councillor Brenda Locke. (File photo)
Brenda Locke trying to breathe life into Surrey’s defunct Public Safety Committee

Surrey councillor’s motion will be up for debate at a future council meeting

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry update the COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature, Nov. 23, 2020. (B.C. government)
B.C. sets another COVID-19 record with 887 new cases

Another 13 deaths, ties the highest three days ago

Arthur Topham has been sentenced to one month of house arrest and three years of probation after breaching the terms of his probation. Topham was convicted of promoting hate against Jewish people in 2015. (Photo submitted)
Quesnel man convicted for anti-Semitic website sentenced to house arrest for probation breach

Arthur Topham was convicted of breaching probation following his 2017 sentence for promoting hatred

Langley School District's board office. (Langley Advance Times files)
‘Sick Out’ aims to pressure B.C. schools over masks, class sizes

Parents from Langley and Surrey are worried about COVID safety in classrooms

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

The baby boy born to Gillian and Dave McIntosh of Abbotsford was released from hospital on Wednesday (Nov. 25) while Gillian continues to fight for her life after being diagnosed with COVID-19.
B.C. mom with COVID-19 still fighting for life while newborn baby now at home

Son was delivered Nov. 10 while Gillian McIntosh was in an induced coma

B.C. Premier John Horgan, a Star Trek fan, can’t resist a Vulcan salute as he takes the oath of office for a second term in Victoria, Nov. 26, 2020. (B.C. government)
Horgan names 20-member cabinet with same pandemic team

New faces in education, finance, economic recovery

A new ‘soft reporting’ room is opening inside the Ann Davis Transition Society offices on Dec. 1, 2020 which is thought to be the first of its kind in B.C. (Ann Davis Transitional Society/ Facebook)
New ‘trauma-informed’ reporting room opening next week in Chilliwack

It’s a space for reporting domestic violence, sexual assault, or gender-based violence to police

The corporate headquarters of Pfizer Canada are seen in Montreal, Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. The chief medical adviser at Health Canada says Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine could be approved in Canada next month. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Health Canada expects first COVID-19 vaccine to be approved next month

Canada has a purchase deal to buy at least 20 million doses of Pfizer’s vaccine,

Most Read