TransLink does not yet have the capability to rapidly auto-restart a shut down SkyTrain line

Fast SkyTrain restart five years away

Rapid transit shutdown halted Expo Line trains more than two hours as thousands of fans tried to get to Canucks game in Vancouver

It will be nearly five years before TransLink expects to have a solution in place to rapidly restart a stalled SkyTrain line and avoid long stoppages like the one on Saturday night.

A power surge shut down Expo Line trains for up to two and a quarter hours starting at 6 p.m. Saturday as thousands of Canucks fans were trying to get downtown for a hockey game.

Twelve of the 19 trains that had to be halted to ensure passenger safety were stuck on the tracks between stations and staff had to manually drive them back to the nearest station and re-enter them in the computer system.

It’s been nearly one year since an independent review recommended TransLink spend $71 million on system upgrades following major SkyTrain meltdowns the previous summer.

The top operational recommendation from consultant Gary McNeil was to add an auto-restart function to the control system that would allow trains to reinitialize and begin moving automatically in a matter of minutes if not seconds.

His report noted an auto-restart module was available when the SkyTrain control software was upgraded in 1994, but the version that was installed then did not include it.

TransLink is now targeting 2020 for completion of the auto-restart capability, said Colleen Brennan, vice-president of communications.

Feasibility studies are to be complete by next summer, followed by a business case and then a request for proposals.

She said it’s a “fairly complex undertaking” because of a series of technical prerequisites, including the replacement of copper cables with fibre optics along the lines.

“It’s not a plug-and-play kind of a system,” Brennan said. “It actually has to be developed and it has to be purpose-built specifically for the system we have.”

McNeil’s report suggested auto-restart might cost $5 million, but Brennan said it’s premature to provide a cost estimate.

Six out of 20 recommendations from McNeil are complete, with 11 in progress and three in the development stage.

Only one person pried open train doors and walked out on the tracks Saturday, according to TransLink spokesperson Anne Drennan, who called that “a major improvement” over unauthorized mass exits last year that further delayed the ability of staff to drive trains back into stations.

“The response was pretty incredible this time in terms of getting it back up and running,” Drennan said.

She credited improved announcements and communications this time – which were also McNeil recommendations – that helped reassure passengers, who “were quite patient.”

Many of the riders stranded at stations used bus bridges to get downtown.

About half the Expo line from King George to Edmonds was running by 7:15, allowing the buses to redeploy to the Vancouver segment of the line.

The Millennium and Canada lines were not affected.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

PHOTOS: B.C. Day long weekend on White Rock beach

Hundreds of families gathered at the beach Sunday

Seeds of Change Surrey to launch two new programs

United Way of the Lower Mainland donated $77,000

White Rock RCMP to host free bicycle registration clinic

Stolen registered bicycles are easier to return to proper owner if recovered

White Rock Concerts subscription series plans to weather pandemic

The White Rock Concerts series cancelled its 2020-21 season due the uncertainty of health risks

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Rollout of COVID-19 Alert app faces criticism over accessibility

App requires users to have Apple or Android phones made in the last five years, and a relatively new operating system

Fraser Valley Bandits clinch playoff spot with win

Bandits down Niagara River Lions 70-57 on Sunday, improve to 3-2

Alleged impaired driver sparks small wildfire near Lytton after crash: B.C. RCMP

Good Samaritans prevented the blaze from getting out of control

B.C. First Nation adopts ‘digital twinning’ software to better manage territory

Software allows users to visualize what a mountain might look like if the trees on its slopes were logged

All inquiry recommendations implemented after fatal Port Hardy RCMP shooting: Ministry

The Independent Investigations Office of B.C. cleared the RCMP officers involved of wrongdoing

Most Read

l -->