Surrey RCMP credit quick action from Surrey Fire Department, BC Ambulance Service and Mounties with saving the lives of five people who were suffering from a drug overdose early Saturday morning.
In a news release, police say on Oct. 17 at approximately 1:48 a.m., police responded to a report of a gas leak inside a residence. Inside the home, police found five people who were unresponsive.
“During the course of the investigation it was determined that there was no gas leak, but all of the parties had consumed drugs and, one by one, they all overdosed,” the release states.
“At the time of attendance, no drugs were located so it is not known what was consumed but as British Columbia Ambulance Service paramedics had to use upwards of 4 doses of Narcan on each party, it is believed to be a highly concentrated batch.”
Narcan is the brand name for Naloxone, which can be used to block of the effects of an opioid overdose.
While police advise the public not to use any sort of non-prescription drugs, they did offer a series of safety tips for people who do.
They suggest that people who consume substances do not use alone, be careful of how much they use, always ensure that Narcan is available and if someone is overdosing, to call 911 immediately for medical assistance