Frustration over ‘Canada 150’ grant to White Rock

Councillors say the uses of some $101,000 received should have been scrutinized by elected officials during the application process

A federal grant to White Rock – aimed at helping the city's celebrations of Canada's 150th birthday next year – has raised procedural questions over the application process.

A federal grant to White Rock – aimed at helping the city's celebrations of Canada's 150th birthday next year – has raised procedural questions over the application process.

The City of White Rock has received more than $100,000 in federal grant money to host celebrations commemorating Canada’s 150th birthday next year, but the application process has left at least one city councillor “troubled.”

News of the grant was announced by the city’s director of recreation and culture services Eric Stepura, who said last week that the committee – made up of staff and community members – chose to submit a ‘Canada 150’ grant based on three potential events: a waterfront regatta, a family-oriented celebration and an original play about the history of White Rock.

“We had our reservations in terms of whether or not we’d get anything,” Stepura said at the May 30 council meeting, before announcing that the city was approved for $101,000 out of a requested $138,000.

However, Coun. Lynne Sinclair said she had concerns with the process by which the grant application was put together, wondering why council had not been asked to weigh in on the proposed events.

“I’m a little troubled by the process. At some point, this should have come to us,” Sinclair said.

“We’re getting government money, so where was the government scrutiny on this end?”

Sinclair asked if the city had “any latitude” to revise the events, to which Stepura responded that because the funding was provided based on the three planned celebrations, there was not much opportunity to make changes.

“We are permitted to drop some of the existing things,” Stepura said. “Possibly one of the things we could look at doing is dropping the regatta, or downsizing some of the existing events.”

Coun. David Chesney said there were a “number of questions” that needed addressing about the celebrations, noting he’d “like to be able to discuss it at length with my fellow council members.”

Chesney tabled a motion to send the matter to the finance and audit committee, where council members could discuss it further.

Coun. Helen Fathers voted against the motion, noting concerns that any changes to the plans could impact the grant funding.

 

Sinclair tabled a subsequent motion – carried unanimously – for the governance and legislation committee to look at creating a grant-application policy.

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

File photo
Man, 68, charged with arson, assault and threatening in Whalley summer fire

David Thind charged in connection with a house fire in the 13000-block of 112A Avenue on Aug. 28

The South Surrey ‘Underground House’ includes skylights and just one side ‘window’ – this glass door that leads out to a patio. (Contributed photo)
South Surrey ‘underground house’ set to go up for sale

‘Unassuming’ John Kay-designed home include skylights, just one window

Swimmer Arianna Hunsicker outside the pool at Surrey Sport & Leisure Complex. The Surrey Knights swim club member is aiming to compete at the Paralympic Games in Tokyo next summer. (Photo: Tom Zillich)
Surrey swimmer aims for Paralympic Games amid COVID-19 challenges at Fleetwood pool

Arianna Hunsicker and other Knights club members train at the only public pool open in Surrey

One man is dead after a shooting in Fleetwood Sunday evening. (Shane MacKichan photos)
One dead after targeted shooting in Surrey

Incident took place near shopping complex at the corner of 152 Street and Fraser Highway

Items collected from last year’s Ocean Park Food Drive. (Contributed file photo)
Ocean Park Food Drive expands, open to residents south of 32 Avenue

Homeowners south of 32 Avenue and west of 160 Street encouraged to put donations on doorstep

A bus shelter in White Rock is emblazoned with an ad from B.C.’s Office of the Human Rights Commissioner on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020. (Black Press Media files)
VIDEO: ‘Am I racist?’ campaign asks British Columbians to confront their unconscious biases

Signs asking British Columbians to think about racial injustice have been put up across the province

Black Press Media and BraveFace have come together to support children facing life-threatening conditions. Net proceeds from these washable, reusable, three-layer masks go to Make-A-Wish Foundation BC & Yukon.
Put on a BraveFace: Help make children’s wishes come true

Black Press Media, BraveFace host mask fundraiser for Make-A-Wish Foundation

Jim Neufeld, 55, was last seen leaving his home in Penticton Jan. 21, 2009. (RCMP photo)
Human remains found off U.S. coast in 2009 identified as Penticton man

Jim Neufeld, 55, was last seen leaving his home in Penticton Jan. 21, 2009

Pitt Meadows Mayor John Becker at his former law office. (News files)
Former Pitt Meadows mayor suspended from practising law for 14 months

Statement from John Becker says anxiety and depression played role

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond speaks to a reporter in Vancouver on November 13, 2015. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck)
No evidence that B.C. ER staff played blood alcohol level game, but Indigenous racism ‘widespread’

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond releases findings of independent investigation

(Dave Landine/Facebook)
VIDEO: Dashcam captures head-on crash between snowplow and truck on northern B.C. highway

Driver posted to social media that he walked away largely unscathed

Menno Place. (Google Street View image.)
B.C. care home looks to hire residents’ family members amid COVID-19-related staff shortage

Family would get paid as temporary workers, while having chance to see loved ones while wearing PPE

B.C. Finance Minister Carole James and Premier John Horgan announce $5 billion emergency fund for COVID-19 unemployment and other relief, B.C. legislature, March 23, 2020. (B.C. government)
Carole James stays on to advise B.C. Premier John Horgan

Retired finance minister to earn a dollar a year

Most Read