Architect Mark Ankenman stands by statements he made at public hearing that city planners encouraged the form that the Forge highrise proposal took.

‘Gobsmacked’ over rejection of White Rock highrise

Architect Mark Ankenman maintains city planning staff supported and encouraged Forge proposal

  • Dec. 8, 2016 6:00 p.m.

Architect Mark Ankenman said it may have been “a misunderstanding” when he referred last week to city documents used in the planning process for the ill-fated Forge Properties highrise proposal as part of the White Rock’s draft official community plan.

But he stands by his statements at the public hearing that city planning staff encouraged himself and Forge principal Cory Saran to move away from their original six-storey wood frame design for the property, at 14825-35 Thrift Ave., in favour of a 12-storey tower.

And he says that he and Saran were “quite shocked” when the enabling bylaws for the project died without a seconder at Monday’s meeting of council.

“We were gobsmacked at the rationale that we’d get turned down and the Elegant proposal would get approved,” he said.

(The Elegant proposal, for a 24-storey tower and a 21-storey tower in a phased development, was approved for the nearby property at 1454 Oxford St. – part of the same Everall neighborhood.)

In comments after the motion for discussion failed, Mayor Wayne Baldwin said Forge’s 66 units-per-acre density was “pushing the envelope” too much for the neighborhood.

“We were not aware that this was an issue,” said Ankenman, who described the sparsely public hearing as a “non-event” attended by the “usual council watchdogs we hear from all the time” and that comments in opposition had not focused on the merits of the proposal itself.

Ankenman said he and Forge had spent a great deal of “time and energy” addressing issues of siting the building to respect sightlines for the neighbours – including the adjacent Forge development, The Royce, and modifying the design to fit advisory design panel wants.

“We thought we were doing what we were supposed to do,” he said.

Ankenman dropped something of a bombshell at the public hearing when he said that the property area was shown as high density in the “draft OCP.”

Opponents seized on this, saying it indicated preferential treatment for the developer, which Baldwin denied, saying “we (council) haven’t even seen the draft OCP yet.”

Ankenman agreed Thursday that what he was referring to was a draft OCP amendment for the neighbourhood including the Forge, Elegant and Evanish projects, presented to the city’s land use and planning committee on Nov. 23, 2015 by former planning and development services director Karen Cooper.

“At that time, she was quite concerned about getting the three projects rolling along as a catalyst for the OCP,” he said. “It’s semantics, perhaps, because there isn’t a draft OCP yet – but that’s what she called it, the draft OCP. We were encouraged by earlier (planning staff) – not this staff – to proceed down this path.”

Ankenman said it’s uncertain, at this point, what Forge’s next step will be for the property.

‘We did what we thought was an appropriate solution, given the parameters we had. We thought we had a win-win, something that was good for the city, good for the neighbours, good for the community.

‘When I see something going sideways in the planning process, I lay down my pencil. I tell (planning) I’m not interested in a crap-shoot, I’m interested in a win-win.

“I think we just have to hunker down and wait,” he said.

“It’s too confusing a climate right now to jump back in and ask ‘what do you want?’ We have no idea what that is.”

 

Just Posted

Surrey man wanted on Canada-wide warrant for drug trafficking turns himself in

Police had issued a public appeal for information in mid-June

VIDEO: Surrey man charged after dangerous driving incident in Vancouver

Toyota Camry spotted doing laps in intersection, driving towards pedestrians

Surrey brewpub’s 20th-year ‘Cask Off’ championship belt won by its head brewer

‘Jason’s Mimosa’ among crafty creations at annual competition

Surrey RCMP provide summer safety tips as school lets out

Police say they will continue to ‘proactively engage’ with youth in a number of programs this summer

Former Surrey man charged with fraud, theft and using forged documents

Johny Panyavong, 26, was arrested in Ontario on June 18 and released on $5,000 bail in Surrey

VIDEO: Clip of driver speeding past B.C. school bus alarms MLA

Laurie Throness of Chilliwack-Kent says he will lobby for better safety measures

Former Vernon Judo coach pleads guilty to child pornography charges

Bryan Jeffrey McLachlan is set to return to court Sept. 4 for sentencing

B.C. Olympic skier sues Alpine Canada after coach’s sex offences

Bertrand Charest was convicted in 2017 on 37 charges

Former Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo to retire

‘Bobby Lou’ calls it a career after 19 NHL seasons

Man charged in crash that killed B.C. pregnant woman

Frank Tessman charged for 2018 Highway 1 accident where Kelowna elementary school teacher died

Province unveils 10-year plan to boost mental health, addiction recovery services

The plan, called A Pathway to Hope, focuses on early-intervention services that are seeing high demand

Man arrested for alleged indecent act after ‘predatory’ SkyTrain incident

A woman had reported the man had exposed himself while on the train on April 29

Two helicopters reportedly seized by RCMP near U.S. border south of Cultus Lake

Federal Mounties mum on raid two weeks after dramatic raid reported by Columbia Valley residents

Most Read

l -->