A Coroner’s inquest into the 2015 death of a man taken into police custody at a Surrey motel found Jason-Lee Thomas Wilson, 45, died accidentally from methamphetamine toxicity.
The inquest was held this week in Burnaby. The jury heard Wilson was taken into custody after the motel manager called police and paramedics after observing him in medical distress.
Wilson died at Surrey Memorial Hospital. The jury recommended a review be done on first-aid training provided to RCMP officers “to ensure it is effective and based on current trends.”
The jury also recommended online first-aid training be modified “to ensure that all modules are completed prior to taking the exam,” and to ensure Mounties comply with first-aid certification.
“The BC Coroners Service looks to gather the facts surrounding why a death took place and is not a fault-finding agency,” noted Andy Watson, a spokesman for BC Coroners Service. “It provides an independent service to the family, community, government agencies and other organizations.”