There are new restrictions coming for British Columbians after a week of surging COVID-19 cases.
Dr. Bonnie Henry announced Saturday that another 567 people had tested positive for COVID-19. One more person has died. The last week has seen record numbers of new cases, with 589 reported Friday.
Of the new cases, 411 were in Fraser Health region, and 122 cases were in the Vancouver Coastal Health region. More than 100 people are in hospital, with more than 30 in critical care. Henry also announced one new healthcare outbreak, at The Residence in Mission.
As of Saturday, Nov. 7, at 10 p.m., new restrictions will be in place for the Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health regions – but excluding Hope, the Central Coast and Bella Coola Valley. The new orders will be in place for two weeks and are only for the two Lower Mainland regions – although Health Minister Adrian Dix warned that people in other regions must step up adherence with existing orders. The orders expire Nov. 23 at 12 p.m.
The new restrictions include bans on indoor group physical activities – except for school activities– along with visits to others households. Funerals and weddings can only proceed if they are held with members of one’s own household. No receptions will be permitted.
Henry said that it may be possible for people who live alone to visit with, and be included in, the “bubble” of close family members in another home. The new orders are focused on socialization and don’t affect day care, or those providing child care.
Churches can remain open, so long as they continue to abide by existing regulations.
Restrictions regarding outside visitations and in restaurants remain in place. But Henry said inspectors will be “cracking down” on those places where rules aren’t being followed.
Henry said people should stop non-essential travel into, or out of, the two Lower Mainland health regions. Henry said she is “advising in the strongest terms that people need to stay in their local community, reduce their social interactions and travel when it’s essential.”
Anyone operating indoor group physical activities must stop holding activities until updated safety plans are in place. Those safety plans must be approved by local health officers.
The specific sports-related order is that “Indoor sports where physical distancing cannot be maintained, such as boxing, martial arts, hockey, volleyball and basketball are suspended for two weeks. These activities can be replaced with individual exercise or practice, that allows everyone to maintains a safe physical distance.”
Gym activity can continue, if people undertake those activities individually and are appropriately distanced.
The restriction on sports travel apply also apply to outdoor sports.
Henry said workplaces must also review their COVID-19 plans, and should consider ways to reduce risks. Break rooms, kitchens and small offices are specific areas of concern.
“We have seen measures slip in some businesses and that has led to transmissions.” Henry said employers should support people working from home “if that is possible.”
Henry said enforcement will be stepped up to ensure employers and workers are abiding by COVID-19 orders.
“We have had many instances of transmission in people’s homes,” she said. “We are seeing a steady and worrisome increase of people with serious illness requiring hospitalization and critical care.”
She added that party buses and limousines are ordered to stop operating “until further notice, effective immediately.”
Henry said the province’s strategy had revolved around maintaining enough capacity in the health care system to help both those with COVID-19, and those with other ailments.
She said those efforts, and the goal of keeping businesses and schools open, are “in jeopardy.”
“Provincial health orders are always a last resort, but right now, these orders are needed,” Henry said.
Asked about the prospects of keeping schools open, Henry said there have been little transmission of the virus within those facilities, although children have contracted COVID-19 elsewhere in the community and then come to school, prompting exposure notices.
“Schools are not amplifying this virus, they are merely reflecting what is going on in the community.”
Although the new orders are for the Lower Mainland, Dix said that people in other regions of the province “should keep your guard up.”
He noted that those regions are also seeing higher case counts recently.
“What is required now is to remember the provincial health orders that are in place and follow the orders.”
Montreal falls in first game after firing general manager Marc Bergevin
Evacuation alert upgraded for a dozen properties in the Laidlaw area late Monday
Residents describe destruction in rural area when Coquihalla River changed course
CN moved seven trains during the weekend but decided to “proactively close its network” due…
50 million pounds of maple syrup poised to be releassed on the market