Man dies of accidental overdose at Newton pool

Surrey RCMP say sudden death of 25-year-old is not considered suspicious.

Newton Recreation Centre.

Newton Recreation Centre.

A 25-year-old man is dead after a drug overdose at Newton Recreation Centre Thursday night (March 21).

Surrey RCMP said staff at the centre, formerly known as Newton Wave Pool, were preparing to close the facility for the evening when someone came across the man in a washroom area at about 10:30 p.m.

The sudden death, said police, is considered an accidental overdose and is not suspicious.

The rec centre is located on 72 Avenue just off King George Boulevard.