Man guilty of sexually assaulting 12-year-old

Surrey's Antonio Daponte broke into Coquitlam girl's bedroom in 2009.

A Surrey man has been found guilty of breaking into a 12-year-old girl’s bedroom and sexually assaulting her two years ago.

Antonio Eduardo Daponte was convicted in New Westminster Supreme Court on Tuesday (Nov. 1).

The 45-year-old was charged with aggravated sexual assault and breaking and entering in connection to the May 2009 attack in Coquitlam.

There is a court imposed publication ban on anything that would identify the victim.

At the time of the incident, police believed Daponte snuck into the girl’s room in the early morning hours, assaulted her and fled through a window when she screamed.

The crime put the community on edge as the RCMP initially didn’t know whether the attack was random. After his arrest, it was determined the suspect was known to the victim’s family.

Daponte is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 12.

 

Just Posted

White Rock RCMP seeking information about Aug. 16 assault

Man in 60s was injured around same time Paul Prestbakmo was stabbed to death

New recovery house rules, increased funding aim to prevent overdose tragedy

Changes ‘speak to issues’ highlighted by death of South Surrey’s Zachary Plett

Cloverdale DebuTheatre play heading to Vancouver Fringe Festival

Legoland will run through September at the Cultch as part of Dramatic Works Series

Police hope to speak with witnesses from fatal 2017 stabbing in Surrey

Wally Rogers was stabbed outside his home near 88th Avenue and 144th Street on July 8, 2017

Downtown Surrey BIA says businesses feel ‘slightly safer’ than last year

For second year, littering, loitering and discarded needles top business concerns in safety audit

B.C. sockeye returns drop as official calls 2019 ‘extremely challenging’

Federal government says officials are seeing the same thing off Alaska and Washington state

Expanded support to help B.C. youth from care attend university still falling short

Inadequate support, limited awareness and eligibility restrictions some of the existing challenges

Ethnic media aim to help maintain boost in voting by new Canadians

Statistics Canada says new Canadians made up about one-fifth of the voting population in 2016

Cross-examination begins for B.C. dad accused of killing young daughters

Andrew Berry is charged in the deaths of six-year-old Chloe and four-year-old Aubrey in 2017

Dog attacked by river otters, Penticton owner says

Marie Fletcher says her dog was pulled underwater by four river otters in the Penticton Channel

BC SPCA overwhelmed with cats, kittens needing homes

Large number of cruelty investigations, plus normal ‘kitten season’ to blame

Memorial to deceased teen stays in place through Labour Day

Hundreds of tributes have been left at the Walnut Grove skate park

Wife charged in husband’s death in Sechelt

Karin Fischer has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of her husband, Max

Most Read

l -->