Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he thinks the municipal force could be done even “quicker” than two years. (Photo: Amy Reid)

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he thinks the municipal force could be done even “quicker” than two years. (Photo: Amy Reid)

McCallum says Surrey police force may come sooner than two years

Councillors Brenda Locke and Jack Hundial doubt two-year timeline

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he thinks the municipal force could be done even “quicker” than two years, but two councillors are doubting his two-year timeline.

Following the regular council meeting on Wednesday (Dec. 19), McCallum said the “indications” are that the city is moving “very quickly” toward a city police force.

“As you know we are working with the City of Vancouver to help us go forward and by doing that we have speeded up the process. I think, or at least the majority of council feels very comfortable, that we’ll be within that two-year period,” he said.

Given that the VPD is helping Surrey transition to its own force, McCallum said it may be done “quicker” than the two-year timeline. He said the city is getting “a lot warmer reception” from the province, adding that the City of Surrey and the provincial government “are working well together.”

RELATED: City of Surrey asks Vancouver for help with municipal policing transition

READ ALSO: Surrey’s top cop ‘disappointed’ after council votes to pull out of RCMP contract

“I think the process actually is going to be speeded up and could actually be better than the two years,” McCallum said. “They’re co-operating a lot more, they’re meeting with us on a regular basis and they’re working with us so we can get the proper procedures in.”

The Now-Leader has reached out to the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General for comment.

Surrey city council formally adopted the controversial budget Wednesday which will see no new cops for the city next year.

RELATED: Surrey needs more Mounties now, city councillor says

Councillor Jack Hundial, a former cop, said earlier this week at this point there’s been a motion in council to switch to a municipal police force to serve notice on the RCMP, adding “that’s all that has happened so far.”

“That still needs to be approved provincially and at other levels of government to make that happen,” he said. “As to when that’s going to happen, I know there’s been some ambitious plans out there that say it’s going to be in two years, but once again, I’d like to see that before me at this point.”

Hundial said he “questions” the two-year timeline.

“I think it is a little ambitious, but certainly, the mayor is responsible for public safety — that does fall in the purview of his office.

He said that “public safety is at risk” with no new Mounties to be hired in Surrey next year, as a result of the budget. Hundial said he think Surrey needs a significantly higher number of officers regardless of which type of police department it has.

“I really question the logic behind not staffing with even an additional 12 members,” Hundial said at Monday’s (Dec. 17) regular council meeting.

Councillor Brenda Locke tweeted after the Dec. 17 meeting, saying, “Rejecting investment in capital projects and public safety is just a false economy and just plain wrong.”

RELATED: Disappointment, frustration after Surrey council votes to approve budget

RELATED: Policing in Surrey – what exactly is the plan?

Prior to the budget deliberations, Locke told the Now-Leader she wasn’t sure the transition to a municipal force can be done in two years.

“I’m not as comfortable with the timeline of two years as they are,” Locke said. “I have never said the two-year piece. I guess that’s something the mayor and Terry (Waterhouse) are talking about. You know, I just want to do it right. I think it’s more important that we do it right and fair and take everything into consideration.”

– with files from Amy Reid and Tom Zytaruk

READ ALSO: Mayor ‘comfortable’ Surrey will be safe with no new cops next year

READ ALSO: Surrey’s top cop says city ‘could be safer’ with more officers

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Surrey RCMP are investigating a reported assault at Panorama Ridge Secondary. (Shane MacKichan photos)
UPDATE: Two youths arrested after assault with a weapon at Panorama Ridge Secondary in Surrey

School placed on a ‘hold and secure’ until safety of all students confirmed

Image Surrey.ca
Surrey to pony up one-third of cost to cover Cloverdale lacrosse box in 2022

This will be at the Cloverdale Athletic Park at 64th Avenue and 168th Street

Island Health chief medical officer Dr. Richard Stanwick receives a first dose of Pfizer vaccine, Dec. 22, 2020. (B.C. government)
COVID-19: B.C. seniors aged 90+ can start to sign up for vaccination on March 8

Long-term care residents protected by shots already given

Delta Mayor George Harvie. (Submitted photo)
Mayor asks Fraser Health to reconcider North Delta vaccination site

Harvie wants a North Delta clinic to complement the South Delta location

B.C. Court of Appeal in Vancouver. (File photo: Tom Zytaruk)
Murder conviction upheld in case where Surrey mom was stabbed in front of her kids

Jury in 2017 found Tanpreet Kaur Athwal, aka Sonia Kaur Gill, guilty of first-degree murder in 2007 death of Amanpreet Bahia, 33

Langley resident Carrie MacKay shared a video showing how stairs are a challenge after spending weeks in hospital battling COVID-19 (Special to Langley Advance Times)
VIDEO: Stairs a challenge for B.C. woman who chronicled COVID-19 battle

‘I can now walk for six (to) 10 minutes a day’

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C.’s coronavirus situation, May 8, 2020. (B.C. government photo)
B.C.’s weekend COVID-19 cases: 532 Saturday, 508 Sunday, 438 Monday

Fraser Health still has most, eight more coronavirus deaths

B.C. Attorney General David Eby speaks in the legislature, Dec. 7, 2020. Eby was given responsibility for housing after the October 2020 provincial election. (Hansard TV)
B.C. extends COVID-19 rent freeze again, to the end of 2021

‘Renoviction’ rules tightened, rent capped to inflation in 2022

Face mask hangs from a rear-view mirror. (Black Press image)
B.C. CDC unveils guide on how to carpool during the pandemic

Wearing masks, keeping windows open key to slowing the spread of COVID-19

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Churches, including Langley’s Riverside Calvary Church, are challenging the regulations barring them from holding in-person worship services during COVID-19. (Langley Advance Times file)
Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Ahmed Hussen takes part in an update on the COVID pandemic during a press conference in Ottawa on October 27, 2020. The City of Vancouver says it has purchased a former hotel at a major thoroughfare that can house about 65 units to accommodate homeless people. A joint news release by the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and city says 2075 Kingsway, Days Inn by Wyndham Vancouver, will be ready for accommodation this November. The Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Ahmed Hussen also announced a $51.5 million Rapid Housing Initiative for Vancouver that is expected to create 135 new affordable homes. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Former Vancouver hotel to be converted to 65 units for homeless people by the fall

The former Days Inn on Kingsway will be ready to house people in November

Det. Sgt. Jim Callender. (Hamilton Police Service screenshot)
B.C. man dead, woman seriously injured after shooting in Hamilton, Ont.

The man was in the process of moving to the greater Toronto area, police say

Most Read