UPDATE: Two more North Delta PACs are also receiving community gaming grants.
A representative from B.C.’s Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Melanie Kilpatrick, confirmed in an email that the Hellings Elementary School PAC has been approved for $6,000 in funding, while the Gibson Elementary School PAC has received $8,180.
Kilpatrick said that PACs must apply for the grant and comply with annual reporting requirements under the grant program. As well, as it is an application-based program, some late applications are still being processed.
Pinewood Elementary PAC’s application is currently being processed.
Original story below…
Seventeen school parent advisory councils in North Delta are getting a share of nearly $195,000 in funding from the provincial government.
In a press release on Monday, Oct. 28, Delta North MLA Ravi Kahlon announced the PACs would be getting the funding by way of provincial community gaming grants, which provide up to $140 million to roughly 5,000 not-for-profit organizations throughout B.C. each year.
Schools receive PAC funding each year to provide students with a variety of extracurricular experiences, including field trips, music, sports and playground equipment, and writing and debate competitions.
“Making sure kids have the opportunity to participate in extracurricular activities is something I strongly support. This funding helps students be included in extracurricular activities regardless of family income,” Kahlon said in a press release.
For the 2019-2020 school year, more than 1,300 school and district PACs throughout B.C. are receiving approximately $11 million in community gaming grant funding.
Funding amounts for school PACs are currently set at a rate of $20 per student, based on enrollment numbers at the start of the previous school year. The grant funding amount for district PACs is currently set at $2,500 per year.
Here’s how much each North Delta school PAC is getting this year:
• Annieville Elementary School PAC: $5,740
• Brooke Elementary School PAC: $6,400
• Burnsview Secondary School PAC: $15,820
• Chalmers Elementary School PAC: $9,400
• Cougar Canyon Elementary School PAC:
• Delview Secondary School PAC: $13,820
• Devon Gardens Elementary School PAC:
• Gray Elementary School PAC: $11,040
• Heath Traditional Elementary School
• Immaculate Conception School PSG:
• Jarvis Traditional Elementary School PAC:
• McCloskey Elementary School PAC:
• North Delta Secondary School PAC:
• Richardson Elementary School PAC:
• Sands Secondary School PAC: $15,180
• Seaquam Secondary School PAC: $27,940
• Sunshine Hills Elementary School PAC: