Dario Bartoli, 15, died on Dec. 13, 2014 after being attacked in Bakerview Park . (RCMP handout photo)

Dario Bartoli, 15, died on Dec. 13, 2014 after being attacked in Bakerview Park . (RCMP handout photo)

‘No updates’ on five-year anniversary of South Surrey teen’s violent death

15-year-old Dario Bartoli died early Dec. 13, 2014 after being attacked in park

Friday (Dec. 13) marked the five-year anniversary of the violent death of South Surrey teen Dario Bartoli, who, with a friend, was attacked in 2014 in Bakerview Park, located at 18 Avenue and 154 Street.

READ MORE: Boy, 15, killed in Surrey assault

But while police said last week that the file is still “definitely an active investigation,” they also said there are no updates that they can share.

“Unfortunately, no further details,” Integrated Homicide Investigation Team spokesman Sgt. Frank Jang said Thursday, in response to inquiries from Peace Arch News.

As well, Jang said there’s no plan to again ask the public for information that could lead police to those responsible.

It’s been 18 months since that last happened, when Crime Stoppers announced in June 2018 that the unsolved homicide was its ‘Crime of the Week.’

READ MORE: Unsolved South Surrey homicide named ‘Crime of the Week’

“Bartoli and his friend were beaten; but, they managed to run to a residence in the 15600 block of 18th Ave, where the police and emergency services personnel were summoned,” the Crime Stoppers appeal stated.

“It’s been over three years, and although this is still an open and active case, thus far it has not been solved and no arrests have been made.”

Bartoli, 15, died at Peace Arch Hospital just a few hours after he and a friend were assaulted in Bakerview Park, in what police described at the time as an “alcohol-fueled altercation that turned tragic.”

It was Surrey’s 16th homicide that year, and occurred just three days after the smothering death of eight-year-old Teagan Batstone shocked the Semiahmoo Peninsula.

READ MORE: Child’s body found in car trunk in South Surrey, woman arrested

READ MORE: Mother’s choice to kill daughter a breach of trust that ‘could not be more abhorrent’

In that case, Teagan’s mother Lisa Batstone was found guilty in March of second-degree murder, and learned this past September that she will have to wait 15 years before she can apply for parole – a sentence she plans to appeal.

In Bartoli’s case, police said in December 2015 that they “can’t move forward” without the public.

“We know there’s people who haven’t talked to us,” then IHIT-spokesperson Sgt. Stephanie Ashton said at the time.

According to court documents filed by Bartoli’s mother in 2017, when she launched a civil suit against the province and a 911 dispatcher in connection with her son’s death – alleging negligence on the part of the dispatcher who fielded the call for help early Dec. 13, 2014 “caused and/or contributed” to the outcome – Bartoli and his friend, 14, were walking home from McDonald’s at around 2 a.m. when they were violently assaulted by a group of unknown males.

“During the assault Dario was stabbed several times in the abdominal area and struck on the head with a crowbar,” the civil claim states. “He was seriously injured and bleeding profusely.”

The claim alleged the dispatcher erroneously entered information regarding the call that resulted in a slower response by paramedics, given the severity of the incident.

Transported to PAH, and despite extensive efforts, Bartoli was pronounced dead around 10 a.m. that day.



tholmes@peacearchnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The emergency department at Peace Arch Hospital in White Rock, B.C., in July 2020. (Black Press Media)
Peace Arch Hospital Foundation reaches $12 million goal

New operating suites to open this fall

The RCMP logo is seen outside Royal Canadian Mounted Police “E” Division Headquarters, in Surrey, B.C., on April 13, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Surrey RCMP asking for dash-cam video of ‘suspicious incident’

Incident involves a newer model Toyota Rav 4 SUV

Surrey RCMP are investigating a “serious” collision near Cloverdale Saturday evening. (Curtis Kreklau photo)
Surrey RCMP investigating ‘serious’ collision in Cloverdale

Witness says vehicle collided with utility pole at approximately 9:30 p.m.

An animated Gordie Hogg introduces his 'Community Connections' videos. (YouTube screenshot)
Community Connections: Gordie Hogg speaks with Denise Stevenson

Former mayor, MP began posting conversations on YouTube in June

Const. Allan Young. Photo: Abbotsford Police Department
Manslaughter charge laid in Nelson death of Abbotsford police officer

Allan Young died after an incident in downtown Nelson last summer

The Kimber family of Boston Bar lost their home in a fire. Blaine Kimber’s daughter created a fundraiser to help rebuild the home with the goal of $100,000. (Screenshot/GoFundMe)
Fundraiser created for Boston Bar family that lost everything in weekend fire

Witnesses say the Kimber family escaped the fire without injury, but their home is a total loss

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

(The Canadian Press)
‘Worse than Sept. 11, SARS and financial crisis combined’: Tourism industry in crisis

Travel services saw the biggest drop in active businesses with 31 per cent fewer firms operating

Pictures and notes in from friends and classmates make up a memorial in support and memory of Aubrey Berry, 4, and her sister Chloe, 6, during a vigil held at Willows Beach in Oak Bay, B.C., on December 30, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Mother of slain daughters supports recent changes to Canada’s Divorce Act

Sarah Cotton-Elliott said she believed her children took a back seat to arranging equal parenting

Victoria man Brett Andersen is asking for people’s help to secure him one of eight free tickets to the moon. (Screenshot/@brettandersen Instagram)
Victoria man wants your help securing a free ticket to the moon

Japanese billionaire offering eight people a trip to the moon

The Conservation Officers Service is warning aquarium users after invasive and potentially destructive mussels were found in moss balls from a pet store. (BC Conservation Officers Service/Facebook)
Aquarium users in B.C. warned after invasive mussels found at pet store

Conservation officers were told the mussels were found in a moss ball from a Terrace pet store.

Most Read