A South Surrey man is dead after an early-morning motorhome fire at an RV park last week.
And fire officials say the tragedy is a blunt reminder of the need for working smoke alarms.
Emergency crews were called to Seacrest Motel & RV Park in the 800-block of 160 Street at 7:30 a.m. Friday to find a motorhome “fully engulfed in fire.”
Neighbours had called 911 after seeing smoke but were not able to gain entry into the unit. Surrey firefighters put the blaze out and found one resident inside.
Despite resuscitation efforts, the 52-year-old man did not survive.
Police would not disclose the identify of the deceased, and the coroner could not be reached by Peace Arch News press time Tuesday.
Seacrest manager Nina Bates said the victim had lived at the site for about a year.
“He was a very nice man,” she told PAN. “Friendly.”
Surrey RCMP officers, fire crews and the coroner’s office were on the scene on the Surrey-White Rock border Friday morning, and RCMP said “at this point, foul play is not suspected.”
No further information was expected until the conclusion of the investigation, Cpl. Scotty Schumann said.
However, fire officials issued a reminder to residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their homes.
According to fire investigators, that was not the case Friday.
In addition, only eight of 16 other units surveyed in the RV park that day were found to have working smoke alarms. Two others had alarms that needed new batteries; firefighters installed alarms in six other units.
Assistant fire Chief Steve Robinson said a working smoke alarm boosts occupants’ odds of escaping a fire by 74 per cent. He encouraged residents to check their alarms to ensure they are working and less than 10 years old.
On request, the Surrey Fire Service will install a free smoke alarm in homes that are not currently protected.
For more information or to schedule a fire-safety inspection, call 604-543-6780.