Police officers carry evidence after raiding a house in Kingston, Ontario, on Thursday Jan. 24, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Lars Hagberg

Ontario youth faces new terrorism charges

The youth was earlier charged with knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity

A youth is facing new charges in connection with a terrorism investigation in Kingston, Ont.

The charges were read in provincial court Friday as the youth appeared at a bail hearing.

The suspect, who cannot be identified under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was earlier charged with knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity, and counselling another person to “deliver, place, discharge or detonate an explosive or other lethal device” in a public place.

He now also faces charges of “making, or having in his possession or under his care of control an explosive substance” designed to endanger life “or cause serious damage to property.”

READ MORE: RCMP charge Ontario youth with trying to get someone to plant a bomb

The youth is also accused of “doing anything with intent” to cause harm or death using an explosive subtance.

While the reasons for the charges were outlined in court, none of the evidence, submissions and reasons presented during the hearing can be revealed under the terms of a strict publication ban.

The youth was mostly expressionless throughout the day while the proceedings transpired.

For much of the morning he sat with his head bowed, but looked up and even smiled occasionally as he listened with the aid of simultaneous translation.

The youth, clad in a purple jacket, was charged after a Canadian police investigation sparked by a tip from the FBI.

The bail proceedings were initially scheduled to last two days but were extended Friday for a third day, with the hearing expected to wrap up Monday.

Defense lawyer Simon Borys said a decision on whether the youth will be granted bail would likely not be rendered until a later date.

The youth last appeared in court March 12.

READ MORE: Explosive Disposal Unit have cleared scene where ‘live grenade’ discovered

Police have said no specific target had been established before the suspect was arrested in late January.

A 20-year-old man was also taken into custody at that time, but was released within hours.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

‘Inventive ideas’ sought soon for Surrey One Act Festival, set to return to Whalley stage

Also planned by Royal Canadian Theatre Company is a Five Minute Play Writing Challenge

U.S. inn owner, charged with smuggling people into Canada, granted bail

Robert Joseph Boule ordered to turn away anyone indicating a plan to enter Canada illegally

Bus driver assault in Vancouver once again raises safety concerns

A 49-year-old Surrey man was released on a promise to appear in court. No charge has been laid

Mayors, First Nations chiefs, urge ‘immediate action’ on new Massey crossing

Joint letter asks province to move up timeline, consider only eight-lane tunnel options

Draft business case for Surrey-Langley SkyTrain to be ready July 25

The Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation heard a progress update Thursday

VIDEO: Killer whales hunt for seals in Vancouver harbour

Bigg’s killer whales feed on marine mammals like seals, sea lions, dolphins and even other whales

Amber alert issued for 5-year-old Ontario boy

Ethan Montes is believed to be in the company of his mother, 47-year-old Juliet Mohammed

Highway One to be widened east to 264th Street in Fraser Valley

The $235 million project includes upgrades to overpasses and a rail bridge

Port Moody mayor accused of sexual assault has first court appearance

Rob Vagramov’s case was adjourned to May 29

Another illegal dump of 200 Dungeness crab discovered in northern B.C.

DFO confident new site related to larger April 2 dump

North Delta happenings: week of April 25

Events and community listings for North Delta

Most Read

l -->