The new Port Mann Bridge will soon lose its older companion. The iconic orange arches of the old bridge will begin to be dismantled this summer.

Port Mann Bridge free credits about to expire

Half of toll bridge's registered users haven't used up free trips

Drivers who got 20 free crossings of the new Port Mann Bridge by registering early with the TReO tolling system are about to lose any unused credits.

Bridge officials say about 250,000 of the more than 800,000 TReO-registered drivers still have some free trips remaining, but they will expire as planned May 31.

It means many Port Mann Bridge users who have so far crossed for free will now have to start paying out of pocket to continue to cross the new span.

Drivers of regular vehicles who signed up by the end of February are still charged the half-price $1.50 per crossing until December, while those who aren’t registered pay the full $3 toll and some of them are also charged a $2.30 licence plate processing fee if they don’t pay within a week.

More than 90 per cent of regular morning commuters over the bridge are registered for electronic tolling detection, said Transportation Investment Corp. spokesman Greg Johnson.

The small minority who aren’t yet registered are offered yet another carrot to sign up for TReO. Those who do so by Nov. 30 get two free crossings. And if they sign up by the end of June, TReO will convert any licence plate processing fees they were charged in the previous 30 days into an additional credit.

Johnson said use of the bridge continues to fluctuate between 100,000 and 115,000 vehicles per day, or about three million per month.

He said that’s essentially the same as with the old untolled bridge, adding that while some traffic has diverted to crossings like the Pattullo or Alex Fraser to avoid tolls, other drivers who avoided the Port Mann due to congestion have come back.

“As construction progresses through Burnaby and Coquitlam, drivers will see even more time savings,” Johnson said.

The Port Mann/Highway 1 Improvement project is still slated for completion by the end of this year, with work continuing on interchanges and lanes in Coquitlam, Burnaby and Vancouver.

One of the final stages of the work will be to open the remaining two lanes of the 10-lane Port Mann. The additional lanes will be segregated from the rest of traffic and offer a direct connection between Surrey and Coquitlam.

Meanwhile, the dismantling of the old Port Mann Bridge is becoming more obvious.

All the deck and most of the girders have now been removed from the north approach.

And Johnson said crews will begin dismantling the main span arch this summer, gradually lowering segments down to barges in the Fraser River.

HOV cheaters on Port Mann could lose discount

Toll collector TReO may use its cameras to detect and punish Port Mann Bridge users who improperly use the HOV lane to get a 25 per cent discount.

The HOV discount applies in the morning and afternoon weekday rushes and there have been reports of lone motorists swerving into the HOV lane just before the tolling sensors in order to pay less.

Transportation Investment Corp. spokesman Greg Johnson said the RCMP enforce HOV lane rules but added TReO may take its own steps to deal with discount cheaters.

“We’re looking at doing our own monitoring,” he said, adding it’s too early to provide details on how that will work.

Solo drivers who TReO determines were using the HOV lane to get the discount could lose their HOV discount privileges, he said.

Johnson maintained HOV lane abuse on the bridge is not rampant.

“We’ve seen the vast majority of people who travel under the gantry in the HOV lane have more than one person in their vehicle.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Proposed Marine Drive zone aims to make use of small lots ‘more efficient’

CR-3A zone discussed during White Rock’s first virtual public information meeting

Surrey-area associations gear up for hockey restart

But it’s not yet clear when city-operated rinks and rec centres will reopen

White Rock calls for street-banner artists

Deadline to apply is 4 p.m. July 24

Rugby practices to return to Lower Mainland fields this fall

B.C. Rugby announced its return to play plan July 7

Surrey Mounties seize shotgun, ammo, after officers shot at with BB gun in Newton

Police say they were on foot patrol in the 6400-block of King George Boulevard when someone fired at them with a BB gun

The pandemic is widening Canada’s workplace gender gap

Gender pay gap is incentivizing fathers to work while mothers watch children, a new B.C. study has found

Investigation clears RCMP in incident where man fell from Langley overpass

‘Officers acted commendably and placed themselves at risk’ police watchdog report finds

Ex-Okanagan Mountie forfeits 20 days’ pay after sexual misconduct review

A former Vernon RCMP constable made sexual comments, grabbed genitals of male officer in two incidents 10 years ago

Rural Chilliwack residents asked to stay indoors, lock doors amid heavy police presence

Heavy police presence in rural Chilliwack neighbourhood as RCMP contend with ‘serious situation’

Man found dead on Okanagan trail identified as Hollywood actor

GoFundMe campaign launched for man found dead at summit of Spion Kop

3 people dead in Prince George motel fire

Fire personnel believe the blaze was suspicious although investigation in early stages

B.C. sets terms to review police, mental health, race relations

MLAs to recommend Police Act changes by May 2021

Feds announce $8.3M to deal with ‘ghost’ fishing gear in B.C. waters

Ghost gear accounts for up to 70 per cent of all macro-plastics in the ocean by weight

Most Read

l -->