Three eastbound lanes are slated to open on the new Port Mann Bridge on Sept. 18 as traffic is gradually reconfigured in a series of steps this fall.

Sept. 18 set for first crossings of new Port Mann

Three eastbound bridge lanes open amid Cape Horn interchange work

The first motorists will cross the new Port Mann Bridge on Sept. 18 as three eastbound Highway 1 lanes open across the new span.

The transition comes amid a host of other big changes drivers are being warned to expect this month.

Just before the partial opening of the bridge, the Lougheed Highway eastbound will shift to a new final alignment south of Highway 1 on Sept. 16.

Then on Sept. 19 a new overpass will open carrying westbound bridge traffic to Lougheed Highway eastbound.

And over the Sept. 22-23 weekend crews are to complete and open another new overpass – the longest in the $3.3-billion Port Mann/Highway 1 project – connecting Lougheed Highway westbound to Highway 1 eastbound.

That’s just part of the complex array of work underway around the Cape Horn Interchange.

“Reconstructing the Cape Horn Interchange is a megaproject within the Port Mann/Highway 1 megaproject, and a crucial part of the solution to our congestion problems,” Transportation Investment Corp. CEO Mike Proudfoot said.

“Over the coming weeks, drivers are going to see big changes as the project’s most technically challenging components come together in a hurry.”

Cape Horn is the most comprehensive interchange reconstruction in B.C. history and includes 15 new ramps, structures and direct connections.

The staged opening of the interchange and the new 10-lane bridge are aimed at avoiding much worse traffic delays than motorists will already face.

Eight lanes of the new Port Mann Bridge are to open in December, when the tolls will also take effect, and three rebuilt interchanges between 160 Street in Surrey and Cape Horn in Coquitlam will also open by then.

The full 10 lanes will open later after the old bridge is dismantled.

The provincial government is also slated to release its tolling framework this month, potentially with lower introductory tolls than the $3 per crossing previously announced.

For more on the changes see http://www.pmh1project.com.

Just Posted

South Surrey mother didn’t have the intent to kill her daughter: defence

Closing submissions in case of Lisa Batstone underway

Surrey woman plans to travel after winning $500,000

Frances Jarvos bought her winning ticket at Willowbrook Mall in Langley

Crime in Surrey dropped by four per cent in 2018 from 2017, city’s top cop says

Surrey RCMP OIC sharing the news with council Monday as city transitions to city police force

Child struck because driver didn’t clear ice from windshield, say Delta police

The child wasn’t seriously hurt and the driver was ticketed for driving with an obstructed view

MINTY: ‘Opening the Doors’ at Surrey gallery with local artist Joanne Dennis

Also, a called for submissions in Arts Council of Surrey’s ‘Just Gates’ exhibition

UPDATE: B.C. legislature managers accused of excessive travel, personal expense claims

Clerk Craig James, security chief Gary Lenz call allegations ‘completely false’

B.C. man fined $10,000 after leaving moose to suffer before death

Surrey man was convicted last week on three Wildlife Act charges

‘Blue Monday’ isn’t real, but depression can be

CMHA encourages people to prioritize their mental health

Anti-pipeline group wants NEB to consider impact of emissions, climate change

Stand.earth filed NEB motion asking to apply same standard to the project as it did with Energy East pipeline

Parole granted for drunk driver who killed B.C. RCMP officer

Kenneth Jacob Fenton will be able to attend alcohol abuse treatment, nearly three years after crash that killed Const. Sarah Beckett

B.C. man charged in 2014 snake venom death of toddler

Henry Thomas was taking care of the North Vancouver girl the day before she died

B.C.’s largest public-sector union wants inquiry into money laundering, drugs

Union officials say Premier John Horgan and Attorney General David Eby have not ruled out the possibility of a public inquiry

Teen in confrontation with Native American: I didn’t provoke

Nick Sandmann of Covington Catholic High School said he was trying to defuse the situation

Kamala Harris opens U.S. presidential bid in challenge to Trump

The 54-year old portrayed herself as a fighter for justice, decency and equality in a video distributed by her campaign

Most Read

l -->