Officers at the Pacific Highway border in South Surrey question a traveller

South Surrey border officials get second season

TV series focuses on Canada-bound travellers, including those crossing into the country through South Surrey borders.

The second season of a controversial TV series aimed at giving a behind-the-scenes look at what goes on at Canada’s border crossings – including those used by Semiahmoo Peninsula residents – hits the airways next week on the National Geographic Channel.

The first back-to-back episodes of Border Security: Canada’s Front Line premiere Tuesday (Aug. 27) at 9 p.m., and include scenes shot at the Pacific Highway crossing.

According to a Force Four Entertainment statement, the series – which launched last September – “shows the challenges faced by CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) officers as they intercept suspicious characters and illegal contraband from around the world.”

“Each episode follows the investigation of real-life situations showing how officers use technology, training, and gut instincts to piece together the truth,” said Force Four executive producer and partner Rob Bromley.

Highlights of season 2 include the discovery of a “hair-raising” package from Malaysia; a traveller with a third leg; a suspicious water heater; the arrest of a wanted burglar; and a questionable shipment of cosmetics.

Earlier this year, the series caused an uproar when the reality TV crew filmed a raid by Canadian agents in which migrant workers were arrested and some later deported.

BC Civil Liberties Association officials raised privacy objections and later described the filming of cross-border travellers as “completely inappropriate.”

“CBSA can’t assume that people consent to being filmed for TV just because they cross the border,” executive director Josh Paterson said at the time.

Signs posted at Lower Mainland crossings regarding the filming were revised to advise travellers their faces will be obscured if they don’t consent to being filmed.

Asked Tuesday if the signs remain, Force Four officials said filming is complete.

Border Security: Canada’s Front Line is based on the format of a similar Australian series now in its 13th season. Episodes from season 1 are currently airing.

For a schedule, visit http://natgeotv.com/ca/border-security/about

 

Just Posted

Accused Surrey transit cop shooter’s bail hearing set for April

Daon Gordon Glasgow, 35, is accused of shooting Transit Police Constable Josh Harms, 27

House fire in South Surrey

Emergency crews seen racing towards 160 Street and 28 Avenue

White Rock’s Cliff Annable ‘lived a life that mattered’

Hundreds gather to remember affable 71-year-old

FOCUS: New arena, more ice in Surrey – but will it be enough for everyone?

With both rinks to close at North Surrey rec, the result is a net gain of one ice sheet this fall

Pair of men charged in three robberies in Surrey, Delta

Charged are Karmal Singh Grewal, 26, of Vancouver and Gursimran Sahota, 21, of Surrey

VIDEO: RCMP ask kids to help name soon-to-be police dogs

13 German shepherd puppies will be born this year

Alphonso Davies doubtful for Canada game against French Guiana in Vancouver

Canada will be without injured captain Scott Arfield and veteran Will Johnson

NDP’s Jagmeet Singh steps into the House of Commons, making history

Burnaby South MP becomes first visible minority to lead a federal party in the House of Commons

Chilliwack grad says modest dress codes don’t protect girls from assault

Sardis alumni was ‘catcalled, harassed, and groped by my male classmates’ despite modest clothing

One of the biggest cow shows in Canada is coming back to the ‘Wack

Prize money of $240,000 is on offer at the spring Holstein show Friday at Chilliwack Heritage Park

VIDEO: Race and sport examined at new We Are Hockey exhibit in Abbotsford

UFV SASI hosting exhibit looking at hockey history and race

Nearly 40% of British Columbians not taking their medications correctly: poll

Introduction of legal cannabis could cause more issues for drug interactions

Mining company fined $70,000 after two workers killed in B.C. truck crash

Broda Construction pleaded guilty to failing to provide safe workplace at Cranbrook rock quarry

Most Read

l -->