A video image taken during a Sept. 7 sting by Surrey Creep Catcher.

A video image taken during a Sept. 7 sting by Surrey Creep Catcher.

Surrey cop’s court date moved forward

Mountie charged with child luring due to appear in court on Dec. 21 after delay on Wednesday.

The next court date for a Surrey Mountie charged with child luring has been scheduled for three weeks from now.

Dario Devic, who was a Surrey RCMP constable when he was targeted by a vigilante group, was due to appear in Surrey Provincial Court on Wednesday, Nov. 30.

Because he has been charged with a summary offence, Devic’s lawyer was able to appear on his behalf.

Devic was the target of a recent Surrey Creep Catcher sting operation, an undertaking to ensnare people who may be looking for the company of children.

The group, which had someone posing as a 15-year-old girl, arranged a meeting with a man at Central City Shopping Centre on Wednesday, Sept. 7.

Devic was trapped by the group and filmed on video.

He was originally charged with breach of trust and child luring, but Crown counsel is now only pursuing the latter charge.

In September, the RCMP was quick to criticize the methods of Creep Catcher, while at the same time putting distance between Devic and the national police force.

“These are serious allegations that are subject to judicial process and it should not be about shaming,” RCMP Asst. Comm. Brenda Butterworth-Carr said.

Butterworth-Carr said at the time if the allegations are substantiated against the officer who had been arrested, the RCMP would be “taking steps to separate ourselves from this individual.”

Devic is due back in Surrey Provincial Court on Dec. 21 to set a date for trial.