B.C.’s Court of Appeal in Vancouver. (Photo: Tom Zytaruk)

Surrey sex assault conviction overturned, new trial ordered

Appeal court found Surrey judge erred in assessing text messages between the accused and his alleged victim

A new trial has been ordered after B.C.’s Court of Appeal overturned a sexual assault conviction in Surrey.

The accused, identified in court only as R.S.B., had been convicted on Dec. 12, 2017 of one count of sexual assault but acquitted of five other crimes on the same indictment, including assault and uttering a threat to cause death or bodily harm.

The appeal court on Jan. 23 ordered a new trial, finding the Surrey provincial court judge erred in respect to his assessment of text messages sent between the accused and his alleged victim.

Justice Mary Saunders noted credibility “was the central issue at trial.” The Surrey judge found the alleged victim to be a credible witness concerning the conviction that was the subject of the appeal and found the accused’s testimony didn’t raise a reasonable doubt, Saunders said in her oral reasons for judgment.

Saunders said the trial judge rejected his testimony on two “prongs,” namely, his claim he did not go into a room where the sexual assault was alleged to have taken place, and his claim he didn’t have sex with the complainant after late 2015.

READ ALSO: New trials ordered for two accused robbers convicted in Surrey court

READ ALSO: New trial for Surrey man, possessing stolen truck conviction overturned

READ ALSO: Appeal court quashes Surrey drug trafficking convictions, orders new trial

The trial judge found R.S.B.’s denial was inconsistent with text messages he had sent to his alleged victim but were consistent with the complainant’s claim that a sex assault occurred in April 2016.

But the appeal court found the text messages “simply are not inconsistent with the appellant’s evidence as to when the parties last had sexual relations, contrary to the judge’s finding of inconsistency that was one of the bases given for finding the appellant lacked credibility.”

Saunders also found the judge erred in finding that other text messages corroborated the alleged victim’s testimony as to when the sexual assault was alleged to have occurred.

“The erroneous interpretation of those text messages formed part of the judge’s reasoning in assessing the complainant’s credibility,” Saunders said. “I consider that both errors fatally undermine the verdict because they are material to the assessments of credibility.”

Appeal court Justices Gregory Fitch and Bruce Butler concurred.

“I would set aside the conviction and order a new trial,” Saunders decided.



tom.zytaruk@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram and follow Tom on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

‘We want to help’: As overdose deaths spike, beds lay empty at long-term Surrey rehab centre

John Volken Academy searching for ‘students’ to enlist in two-year residential treatment program

PHOTOS: B.C. Day long weekend on White Rock beach

Hundreds of families gathered at the beach Sunday

Seeds of Change Surrey to launch two new programs

United Way of the Lower Mainland donated $77,000

White Rock RCMP to host free bicycle registration clinic

Stolen registered bicycles are easier to return to proper owner if recovered

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

Wildfire breaks out near Harrison Hot Springs

1.5 hectare fire is reportedly human caused

Police lay out details of mental health response in Abbotsford over long weekend

APD officers assist mental health team for three hours yesterday, man sent to hospital with injury

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Rollout of COVID-19 Alert app faces criticism over accessibility

App requires users to have Apple or Android phones made in the last five years, and a relatively new operating system

Fraser Valley Bandits clinch playoff spot with win

Bandits down Niagara River Lions 70-57 on Sunday, improve to 3-2

Most Read

l -->