Surrey shuts down drug homes

City has slammed the doors on 103 unregulated drug and alcohol recovery homes, flop houses and crack shacks in Surrey this year

Surrey has shut down more than 100 drug homes so far this year.

Surrey has shut down more than 100 drug homes so far this year.

Surrey has shut down more than drug homes in the last seven months, city officials say.

Since the creation of the Mayor’s Task Force on Crime, Surrey has slammed the doors on 103 “problem unregulated” alcohol and drug recovery homes, drug houses and flop homes. Another 62 are currently under investigation.

“The work that is being done to rein in disruptive unregulated recovery homes is part of the High Risk Location Initiative under the Mayor’s Task Force on Crime,” Mayor Dianne Watts said in a news release.

The task force was set up earlier this year, weeks after the killing of hockey mom Julie Paskall outside the Newton Ice Arena.

Part of the strategy was setting up a collaborative effort between the city’s bylaw department, RCMP, Crown counsel and social service agencies.

The idea was to target problem homes and find adequate services for the people displaced during the closures.

Surrey has been using its nuisance and zoning bylaws to crack down on the homes.

“Typically upon receiving a complaint, it takes 15 to 30 days to shut down a problem unregulated recovery home,” said Surrey Bylaw Manager Jas Rehal.

Of the regulated recovery homes in the City of Surrey, 36 operate under the auspices of the Assisted Living Registry and three are licensed by the Fraser Health Authority.

Susan Sanderson, who runs Surrey’s Realistic Recovery Society, questions the city’s claim that it has shut down so many unregulated homes.

She hasn’t heard of anyone complaining they’ve been evicted due to city action.

The idea that that many people (400-600 in total) could be safely relocated is hard to fathom, she said.

Rehal said the closures were a mix of flop houses, drug houses and unregulated recovery facilities.

He believes the vast bulk of the former residents either found other accommodation or went to another city.

“Some people have left the city, some have gone to other homes,” Rehal said, adding crews have checked shelters and homeless camps and they haven’t seen an increase in numbers.

A list of the closures, obtained at the request of The Leader, shows only three of the homes were in South Surrey.

The rest were north of 57 Avenue. A full 95 of the homes were north of 72 Avenue.

Rehal said there are more than 50 problem houses still under investigation by the city.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

A heavy police presence was on scene on Dec. 28, 2017 following the shooting death on Bates Road in Abbotsford of Alexander Blanarou, 24, of Surrey. (Abbotsford News file photo)
Three men charged with Abbotsford shooting death of Surrey man

Alexander Blanarou, 24, was killed in a rural area on Dec. 28, 2017

A criminal trial for Robert Boule (inset), the owner of the Smuggler’s Inn, is to begin in August 2021, following a failed application to strike down immigration-act provisions that he is charged under. (Photo courtesy of The Northern Light newspaper)
Blaine inn owner’s challenge of immigration act fails

Robert Boule’s trial on human-smuggling charges set to begin August 2021

A tongue-in-cheek message about wearing a face mask to curb the spread of COVID-19 on a sign outside a church near Royal Columbia Hospital, in New Westminster, B.C., on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C.’s COVID-19 infection count climbs back up to 656

20 more people in hospital, active cases still rising

Mirandy Tracy, left, and Tara Kurtz are two Langley mothers who are organizing a "sick out" for Tuesday, Dec. 1 to protest COVID conditions in schools. They're calling for masks and smaller class sizes, among other things. (Matthew Claxton/Langley Advance Times)
Politician, labour leader throw support behind student Sick Out day

Langley parents started the movement to keep kids home on Dec. 1 as a protest

A family emerged with a purchase at the Tannenbaum Tree Farm at 5398 252 St in Aldergrove on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020 (Dan Ferguson/Langley Advance Times)
Christmas tree season is off to an early start

People are ‘bored’ with staying home due to COVID-19 and want to decorate early, farm owner believes

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
B.C. researchers launch study to test kids, young adults for COVID-19 antibodies

Kids and youth can often be asymptomatic carriers of the novel coronavirus

A convoy of seven pickup trucks, six of which were hauling boats, makes its way around the Chilliwack Law Courts on Dec. 1, 2020. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)
First court date for Fraser River anglers ticketed during demonstration fishery

Convoy of trucks circled the courthouse in downtown Chilliwack Tuesday honking their support

A sign is seen this past summer outside the Yunesit’in Government office west of Williams Lake reminding visitors and members to stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic. (Rebecca Dyok photo)
B.C. First Nation leaders await privacy commissioner decision on COVID-19 information

Release of life-saving data cannot wait, says coalition of First Nations

MLA Jennifer Whiteside is B.C.’s new minister of education. She is speaking out against Chilliwack school trustee Barry Neufeld and asking him to resign. (Black Press)
New education minister calls on Chilliwack trustee to resign

Whiteside echoes former minister’s promise to look at options to remove Barry Neufeld

Most Read