Three people were arrested Wednesday after police fired at a suspect vehicle in the 1500-block of Finlay Street.

Three people were arrested Wednesday after police fired at a suspect vehicle in the 1500-block of Finlay Street.

Taxi driver among trio arrested outside White Rock ‘crack shack’

Suspects released from custody, no charges 'at this point', police say

Three people were arrested and released following police gunfire in White Rock last week.

Officers say the takedown was connected to the investigation of a “known crack shack.”

Sgt. Peter Thiessen said Friday the trio – for which he would not release any information, including age – have also not been charged “at this point.”

They were arrested in the 1500-block of Finlay Street near Peace Arch Hospital around noon Wednesday, after police fired at a vehicle as three suspects attempted to flee the area.

No injuries were reported.

At the scene, a white taxi was in the middle of the road, its front doors open and the window of its right front passenger-side smashed out.

Thiessen would not say if it was a gunshot that shattered the window, nor would he comment on how many shots were fired.

“That’s part of the investigation determining exactly what occurred there, how many shots may have been fired,” he said.

He did confirm that the driver of the cab was one of the three who were arrested. Witnesses told Peace Arch News Wednesday that they also saw an elderly woman escorted by police from the taxi to a police car.

Thiessen would not comment on the details of the taxi’s involvement.

Coquitlam RCMP’s Serious Crime Unit is conducting an independent investigation into the officer-involved shooting.

Thiessen said that investigation will look at the circumstances of the incident to determine “whether the officer was justified or not” in firing.

That is something White Rock’s mayor said he is anxious to know.

“The fact a police officer fired around what is essentially a residential area does raise concerns,” Wayne Baldwin said Monday. “It may have been necessary and warranted, I really don’t know.”

Under the Police Act, officers may only draw or fire their guns if they have reasonable grounds to believe it is necessary to protect a life; to apprehend someone believed to be dangerous; or as a warning to gain control of a situation that the officer believes may result in death or serious injury if allowed to continue.

“It depends on the circumstances,” Thiessen said.

“I don’t know when we will have information on that that we can share.”