Teen arrested following Brookswood Secondary lockdown

Langley RCMP are still trying to determine if a real firearm was involved.

A 17-year-old who may have had a firearm on the grounds of Brookswood Secondary has been arrested following Wednesday’s lockdown at the school.

The teen, believed to be the “suspicious male” seen on the school grounds, has been released from custody and is bound by a number of conditions, said Cpl. Holly Largy, spokesperson for the Langley RCMP.

Police now believe the incident stemmed from an earlier confrontation, involving pepper spray, between a Brookswood student and the suspect.

“Police believe he returned to the school grounds later in the day and may have been in possession of a firearm,” Largy said in a press release.

No firearm has been recovered, and police are still interviewing witnesses. The possibility that the gun was a replica is also under investigation.

Rumours began flying within minutes after the school lockdown began, including among parents in the school parking lot as they waited for their children to be released from the school.

“Rumours and conjecture on social media both during and after the events of yesterday did little to assist police in their efforts,” Largy said. “Rather, the rumours served to hinder the investigation and escalated the anxiety suffered by the parents waiting for their children.”

The lockdown began at around 2 p.m. after a student told the principal that someone had been seen on the school grounds, possibly with a gun.

Students remained in their classrooms as numerous RCMP officers arrived and began a search of the surrounding area. The Air One RCMP helicopter also circled the grounds for a time, and a canine officer was brought in to sweep the school.

Students were released one class at a time starting at about 3:30 p.m.

The investigation is ongoing, Largy said.

_________________________________

Is there more to this story?

mclaxton@langleyadvance.com

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter

_________________________________

 

Just Posted

Four years for manslaughter in Surrey drive-by shooting

Mahdi Halane was rendered a quadriplegic until his death in hospital six years later at age 24.

Author at Surrey event glad to have book published ‘before reality totally overtakes fiction’

Ari Goelman, a business and criminology instructor, speaks at KPU Reads gathering Jan. 22

South Surrey overpass repairs to get underway in February

Schedule for Bailey bridge work also announced

White Rock cannabis and adult entertainment bylaws to move to public hearings

Council will seek input on potential of allowing contentious businesses in city limits

Cloverdale banker shares his love of swing dancing

Cloverdale’s Phillip Kunz shows dancing newcomers how to get into the swing of things

Simulated whale rescue on White Rock beach

Training endeavour aimed to ready crews for future strandings

Body discovered in burnt out car near Trail

Police report a body was found in the burnt out trunk of a 1999 Honda Civic

UPDATE: Friends mourn boy, 15, killed in Vancouver shooting

John Horgan: ‘No stone is to be left unturned until we find the perpetrator of this heinous crime’

VIDEO: B.C. Lions sign defensive back T.J. Lee to contract for upcoming season

The four-year veteran had a team-high four interceptions and 49 tackles last season with B.C.

How an immigrant to Canada helped Donald Trump prove his mental health

Test that cleared Trump was developed by doctor associated with McGill and Sherbrooke universities

Premier touches on multiple topics ahead of Asia trade trip

Housing and childcare are expected to be the focus of the BC NDP’s first budget in February.

VIDEO: Explorers uncover Canada’s deepest cave in Fernie

The cave, named Bisaro Anima, was confirmed to have broken the record on New Year’s Day

Vernon to host largest Special Olympics B.C. Winter Games in 2019

Games to be held Feb. 21-23, with more than 800 athletes expected to take part

Ex-BC Liberal staffer focused on ‘favourable’ ethnic communities in scandal: lawyer

Former communications director Brian Bonney’s sentencing hearing for breach of trust is underway

Most Read