Premier Christy Clark has left the door open to a delay in her promised referendum on Lower Mainland transportation funding.
Speaking to reporters after a speech to a mining conference Monday morning, Clark said she and Transportation Minister Todd Stone are open to proposals from Metro Vancouver.
“I appreciate that these referenda can be complicated, and these have been complicated in other jurisdictions, and sometimes they need a little more time,” Clark said. “That’s what the mayors have been saying. Todd Stone is continuing to talk with them about that. So will I.”
Clark has previously insisted that a referendum on new funding sources for new transit and roadworks should be held in conjunction with municipal election set for Nov. 15.
Stone said last week it is up to the TransLink’s mayor’s council to work together and define the region’s top priorities for rapid transit, bridge and road projects. Mayors objected to that idea, since the province has a board of appointed experts that has been in charge of choosing projects in recent years.