Trial booked for White Rock sex-assault charges

Trial booked for White Rock sex-assault charges

Nearly six years after a pair of alleged sexual assaults in White Rock, the man accused of the crimes is going to trial.

Nearly six years after a pair of alleged sexual assaults in White Rock, the man accused of the crimes is going to trial.

Const. Janelle Shoihet said Friday that proceedings were initially stymied by difficulties locating the now 34-year-old accused. They were further delayed by a number of missed court appearances that resulted in arrest warrants being issued.

The first arrest warrant was issued in 2007, after two women – then aged 25 and 33 – reported they had been sexually assaulted at a White Rock residence by an acquaintance.

According to court records, the alleged assaults occurred on Aug. 3 and Aug. 31 of 2007.

Shoihet said police were alerted in September of that year, when a 25-year-old woman alleged she had been sexually assaulted by her boyfriend’s roommate; and a 33-year-old woman alleged that the same man had tried to fondle her.

A warrant for Jason Andrew Robinson was issued the following May. In November 2011, White Rock officers were advised that Robinson had been located and released on conditions issued by Victoria Police.

A second warrant was issued in January 2012, following a missed court appearance.

A third warrant was issued this past February.

Shoihet said her detachment was advised on March 20 that the latest warrant had been executed.

Robinson remains in custody, and made a brief video appearance in Surrey Provincial Court last Thursday. He is due back in court Friday (April 12)  to confirm dates for a trial, which has been scheduled for June 4-10.