Trudeau, Clark accord on Metro Vancouver transit a first step

August looms as deadline for mayors, province to hammer out deal on new regional tax or else projects will be shelved

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson at the SkyTrain operation and maintenance centre in Burnaby Thursday.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson at the SkyTrain operation and maintenance centre in Burnaby Thursday.

Metro Vancouver’s transit expansion plan is closer to chugging out of the station but it is not yet fully on track, despite a high-profile pledge Thursday from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier Christy Clark to swiftly commit $616 million.

The federal government’s unprecedented 50 per cent share of transit upgrades committed by Ottawa earlier this year will provide $370 million for first-phase projects, while the province has pledged $246 million as its own third.

“I’m proud that the very first such agreement we’ve signed is right here in British Columbia,” Trudeau said at the SkyTrain operations centre in Burnaby. “This is just phase one.”

RELATED: Fares, taxes and development fees eyed for transit

If all unfolds according to plan, TransLink CEO Kevin Desmond said bus service could increase by early next year, and a third SeaBus could be in service with sailings as often as every 10 minutes.

But those immediate service increases as well as a planned order to buy more SkyTrain cars from Bombardier all depend on Metro mayors quickly hammering out an agreement with the province on how the region will raise its 17 per cent share of capital costs plus another $3.9 billion in additional operating costs over 10 years.

If there’s no deal by the end of August, officials admit, the purchases of new vehicles have to be shelved, along with any early service increase.

The phase one plan calls for 28 new SkyTrain cars for the Expo and Millennium Lines, 22 new Canada Line cars, five more cars for the West Coast Express and a new SeaBus – $255 million worth  in all.

“We need some other funding mechanism to close the gap,” Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner said.

“And that’s the hard work that’s going to have to happen next.”

Hepner hailed the bilateral agreement of the senior governments – the first one for major new transit funding in Canada under the Trudeau Liberals – as a “very significant” step forward.

One reason for Hepner’s optimism is the deal ensures $157 million in design and other planning work for the Surrey light rail lines and Broadway subway will now go ahead, putting those projects in position to break ground in 18 months.

Actual construction will still depend on a phase two agreement on federal and provincial funding, and the mayors and province ironing out their differences over new local funding sources.

Metro mayors last month pressed the province to agree to either a new funding source, such as a vehicle levy, or dedicate $50 million a year from an existing one, such as the carbon tax.

And they don’t want the plan subjected to the uncertainty of another referendum, like the one that defeated the proposed regional 0.5 per cent sales tax last summer and continued a years-long impasse over transit expansion.

While the mayors have previously resisted any voluntary increase in TransLink property taxes, they gave ground on that point when they tabled their funding proposal last month.

It would accelerate TransLink property tax increases to an automatic three per cent a year from the two per cent currently set in provincial legislation.

Not all mayors attended the Trudeau-Clark announcement.

Maple Ridge Mayor Nicole Read said she boycotted the event because of concerns new taxes or even road pricing will be unfair to her residents.

Minister for TransLink Peter Fassbender said he won’t speculate on whether the plan can fully unfold without a new referendum but insisted the federal-provincial agreement is a major sign of good faith that Ottawa and Victoria will work with the region.

Canadian Taxpayers Federation spokesman Jordan Bateman called for a referendum on any eventual move to improve road pricing, which mayors and the province have agreed to investigate.

“You have to have social licence from people on road pricing,” Bateman said. “People should have a direct vote on whether that new form of taxation is acceptable.”

An initial chunk of regional funding will come from TransLink’s sale of $125 million in surplus property in Vancouver.

Bateman called that “great validation” for No voters last year that TransLink has been forced to liquidate its own assets rather than simply seek more taxes.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Investigators placed dozens of yellow evidence markers on the ground near the site of a fatal shooting in Langley City early Wednesday morning. (Matthew Claxton/Langley Advance Times)
UPDATE: 22-year-old man killed in targeted shooting in Langley

South Surrey vehicle fire may be linked to homicide: police

Surrey-raised actor Michael Coleman in some of the roles he’s played since the mid-1990s. (submitted photo)
Chat with Robin Williams helped send Surrey’s Coleman into world of acting

‘For me, it was a game-changer,’ says co-founder of Story Institute acting school

Friends and family of Paul Prestbakmo (from left: Barbara Calder, Leah Charles, Jimmy Slater, Angela Prestbakmo and Liz Prestbakmo) gather outside Surrey Provincial Court on Tuesday (Jan. 26, 2021). (Tracy Holmes photo)
South Surrey murder victim stabbed 42 times: pathologist

RCMP digital-evidence specialist also among witnesses

Surrey City Hall. (File photo)
OUR VIEW: Surrey’s public hearings are for being heard

Surrey public hearings of late have been devolving into something less than intended

The White Birch proposal for a six-storey rental-only building at 1485 Fir St. was turned down by council on Monday night. (Contributed rendering)
White Birch developer feels ‘betrayed’ by City of White Rock council

Application for new rental building at 1485 Fir St. turned down by council

Dr. Penny Ballem, a former deputy health minister, discusses her role in leading B.C.’s COVID-19 vaccination program, at the B.C. legislature, Jan. 22, 2021. (B.C. government)
B.C. holds steady with 407 new COVID-19 cases Tuesday

14 deaths, no new outbreaks in the health care system

SAR crews worked late into the night Tuesday to rescue an injured snowboarder in North Vancouver. (Facebook/North Shore Rescue)
Complicated, dangerous rescue saves man in avalanche near Cypress Mountain

North Shore SAR team braves considerable conditions to reach injured snowboarder

A Cessna 170 airplane similar to the one pictured above is reported to be missing off the waters between Victoria and Washington State. Twitter photo/USCG
UPDATE: No sign of small plane that went down in waters south of Vancouver Island

Searchers out on both sides of border between Victoria and Port Angeles

In this undated image made from a video taken by the Duke of Sussex and posted on @SaveChildrenUK by the Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, shows the Duchess of Sussex reading the book “Duck! Rabbit!” to their son Archie who celebrates his first birthday on Wednesday May 6, 2020. The Canadian Paediatric Society is reminding families that the process of raising a reader starts from birth. (Duke of Sussex/@SaveChildrenUK)
Canadian Paediatric Society says raising a reader starts from birth

CPS says literacy is one of the strongest predictors of lifelong health outcomes

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion Minister Carla Qualtrough responds to a question during a news conference Thursday August 20, 2020 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Easing rules for parental benefits created inequities among parents, documents say

Employment Minister Carla Qualtrough’s office says the government will make any necessary changes

People walk along a pedestrianized zone of Sainte-Catherine street in Montreal, Monday, May 18, 2020, as the COVID-19 pandemic continues in Canada and around the world. Newly released statistics point to a major drop in police-recorded crime during the first eight months of the COVID-19 pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
Crime down in first 8 months of pandemic, but mental health calls rise: StatCan

The agency says violent crimes such as assault dropped significantly

Cowichan Tribes chief Squtxulenhuw (William Seymour) confirmed the first death in the First Nations community from COVID-19. (File photo)
Cowichan Tribes confirms 1st death amid growing COVID-19 outbreak

Shelter-in-place order has been extended to Feb. 5

(Pixabay)
B.C. teacher gets 1 day suspension after ‘aggressively’ throwing dumbbell at student

Documents show the weight would have hit the student if they didn’t catch it

Most Read