UPDATE: Not guilty plea coming in Maple Batalia murder

Lawyer for Gurjinder (Gary) Dhaliwal says his client is innocent until proven guilty; Gursimar Singh Bedi also appears in court.



One of the men charged in the murder of SFU Surrey student Maple Batalia – Gurjinder (Gary) Dhaliwal – will be pleading not guilty, his lawyer said.

On Monday morning, Dhaliwal and the second man charged in the case – Gursimar Singh Bedi  – appeared in Surrey Provincial Court.

On Sept. 28, 2011, 19-year-old Maple Batalia was gunned down on the third floor of the Central City parkade, beside Simon Fraser University, following a late-night study session.

She had been studying with friends and left for the parkade just before 1 a.m. when she was shot multiple times in what police believe was a targeted attack.

She died later in hospital.

At a press conference Saturday night, police announced that Maple’s ex-boyfriend Dhaliwal, 20, and “associate,” 22-year-old Bedi, have been charged with her murder.

Dhaliwal has been charged with first-degree murder, while Bedi has been charged with manslaughter with a firearm and accessory after the fact.

“Although we can’t bring Maple back, we’re happy to see that those (allegedly) responsible for this are now going to suffer the consequences,” said Maple’s sister Roseleen, who spoke on behalf of the family at a news conference Saturday night. “We’re just hoping Maple will finally be at peace.”

Batalia, an aspiring actress and model who was finalist in the 2011 Central City Model Search, was planning to go to medical school.

At a candlelight vigil in Holland Park two days after her murder, Batalia’s parents were overcome with grief.

“This wonderful child, a jewel of mine, has been snatched away forever,” said Maple’s father Harkirat Batalia, who called his daughter his little Tweetie Bird.

“My charming little sweet child, I’ll miss you. May God take you in heaven and keep you there… and please God help me in this moment.”

Batalia’s mother expressed similar depth of despair earlier in the day.

Photo: Sarabjit Batalia

“My life is finished,” Sarabjit Batalia told The Leader. “What is my life without her? She was the star in our life and our whole family.”

In December of last year, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) seized a white 2011 Dodge Charger that was seen leaving the scene of the murder. IHIT has had more than 50 officers working on the case.

On Friday night, police arrested the two men – Dhaliwal in Burnaby and Bedi in Surrey- and took them into custody.

Details of the arrest and investigation were scant Saturday night in order to protect the integrity of the upcoming trial.

The two men remain  in custody and are scheduled to appear in Surrey Provincial Court again by video link on Dec. 17.

Just Posted

Surrey mayor appoints Terry Waterhouse to oversee policing transition

Waterhouse was hired by the previous Surrey First slate as the city’s first-ever Director of Public Safety Strategies

Proposed coal project for Fraser Surrey Docks back in court

It could be months before the federal appeal court renders a decision

PHOTOS: Hockey history in Surrey as Team India comes to play

Squad played its very first game in Canada on Tuesday against Surrey Falcons

Letters shed light on state of mind of mother accused of daughter’s murder

Trial of South Surrey’s Lisa Batstone begins in BC Supreme Court

Surrey to hear news on Olympic softball qualifier bid next week

Decision, originally expected in September, was delayed by World Baseball Softball Confederation

VIDEO: Amazon to split second HQ between New York, Virginia

Official decision expected later Tuesday to end competition between North American cities to win bid and its promise of 50,000 jobs

Provincial housing boss brought home more than $350,000 in 2017-18

BC Housing develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options

Prince Charles turns 70 with party, new family photos

Charles is due to have tea on Wednesday with a group of people who are also turning 70 this year

Calgarians vote ‘no’ to bidding for 2026 Winter Games, in plebiscite

Out of 767,734 eligible voters, 304,774 voted and 171,750 said ”no.”

Kuhnhackl scores 2 odd goals as Isles dump Canucks 5-2

Vancouver drops second game in two nights

Fear of constitutional crisis escalates in U.S.; Canadians can relate

Some say President Donald Trump is leading the U.S. towards a crisis

B.C.-based pot producer Tilray reports revenue surge, net loss

Company remains excited about ‘robust’ cannabis industry

Canada stands pat on Saudi arms sales, even after hearing Khashoggi tape

Khashoggi’s death at Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul further strained Riyadh’s already difficult relationship with Ottawa

Feds pledge money for young scientists, but funding for in-house research slips

Canada’s spending on science is up almost 10 per cent since the Liberals took office, but spending on in-house research is actually down

Most Read

l -->