Screengrab from a video that shows a violent brawl in Surrey on Nov. 11. Surrey RCMP are investigating the incident and urge the public to come forward to help identify those involved.

Newton

VIDEO: Surrey mayor decries ‘alarming frequency’ of ‘mob violence’ after another brawl

Surrey RCMP urge the public to come forward with information about those involved

A violent brawl caught on video is shocking leaders in the community, leading to police asking the public to come forward with any tips on those involved.

The footage shows a group of people fighting, some with what appear to be metal rods or golf clubs hitting vehicles. Police say it happened in the 7000-block of 128th Street some time before 2:30 a.m. on Nov. 11.

Surrey RCMP Corporal Elenore Sturko said police were made aware of the incident by a victim, and a witness.

While police were aware of the incident earlier in the week, they didn’t receive a copy of the video until Thursday, Sturko noted.

“Now that we have a copy of the video, it opens up investigative avenues for us,” she said.

Sturko said police “know it’s disturbing to the public” to watch the footage, but the “positive of it being widely distributed” is that there are many more people who may be able to identify those involved.

“We’re asking anyone with more information to contact Surrey RCMP (at 604-599-0502),” said Sturko, or Crime Stoppers if they want to remain anonymous at solvecrime.ca.

Police are investigating the incident as assault with a weapon, as well as vandalism to a property in the parking lot.

This latest incident comes after another brawl was captured on video in August not too far from this latest violence, in a shopping centre in Strawberry Hill.

“We’ve increased our patrols since the last incident and presence in the area,” said Sturko, adding that officers have also engaged with businesses in the area, making suggestions to property owners about various security measures that can be taken.

In that case, no one officially reported the incident to police.

At the time, Constable Richard Wright told the Now-Leader that officers “are aware that this behaviour goes on in the area.”

The area is considered an “active hot spot for frontline officers, subject to multiple patrols throughout their shift,” he said in August.

READ MORE: ‘So tired of all this violence’: Dramatic brawl caught on video in Surrey

Meantime, Mayor Doug McCallum is decrying the “repugnant” behaviour of the young men in the latest Newton brawl.

“I am deeply concerned that this kind of mob violence is happening with alarming frequency,” said McCallum in a statement Friday morning. “In August, another large brawl in the Strawberry Hill area was caught on video. This behavior is repugnant and puts the public at risk. It is imperative that RCMP take immediate and strong action to get a handle on this kind of mob violence that is occurring far too frequently in Surrey.”

The grassroots anti-gang group Wake Up Surrey has also issued a statement about the incident, saying it has received the video showing “horrific mob type violence.”

“As Canadians we find this behavior appalling and have forwarded the information to the RCMP,” the statement reads. “We also request our elected officials at the federal and provincial level to take leadership of this increasing type of crime occurring on our streets. Wake Up Surrey since June 2018 has tried to bring awareness to this volatile issue when such violence was occurring near Strawberry Hill mall. There should be zero tolerance towards such despicable behavior and the swiftest legal means to control this violence.”

SEE ALSO: Video captures violence and chaos in Surrey neighbourhood



amy.reid@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Amy on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

COVID-19: Daily update on the pandemic in Surrey, White Rock and beyond

APRIL 1: Surrey’s two largest hotels close, BC Hydro offers bill credit

Claiming she has COVID-19, stranger coughs in Cloverdale woman’s face

Clayton Heights woman will now self-isolate for the next two weeks

White Rock/South Surrey experts launch website of mental-health resources

Together White Rock/South Surrey aims to help ease the search for supports

Surrey’s two largest hotels are now closed due to COVID-19; room bookings plummet elsewhere

Guildford’s 77-room Four Points property remains open with ‘minimum amount of business,’ GM says

B.C. couple celebrates 61st anniversary through seniors’ home window

Frank and Rena Phillips marked occasion at Nanaimo Seniors Village this week while social distancing

A look at some of the B.C. inventors creating life-saving tools in fight against COVID-19

Groups across B.C. are working together to create what they hope will help people affected by the pandemic

Association launches French-language games, online tools for families learning at home

Games, culture and vocabulary included in new virtual resources

‘There can be no ambiguity’: Travellers brought home to B.C. must self-isolate

Health Minister Adrian Dix said the mandatory isolation must be abided by

55+ BC Games cancelled amid COVID-19 concerns

Greater Victoria set to host 2021 event

BC Hydro offers three-month bill ‘holiday’ for those affected by COVID-19

Industrial customers can defer half of their power bills

VIDEO: Dog missing in Lower Mainland since winter sees his family again for the first time

Aldergrove helped find Buster, says dad, who has now witnessed ‘the power of social media’

Some April Fool’s Day jokes bring much-needed laughter; others tone deaf to COVID-19

Police are warning the public not to use the ongoing pandemic as a punchline

Canada’s 75% wage subsidy is coming, but not for several weeks: finance minister

Subsidy will cost Canada $71 billion, but push down cost of emergency benefit, Morneau said

Most Read

l -->