White Rock council discusses the deletion of question period Monday. The motion passed.

White Rock council removes question period

Motion for bylaw amendment passed Monday with Couns. Helen Fathers and David Chesney against.

Question period is gone, not with a whimper, but with a bang – and a few choice words for elected officials.

White Rock council voted this week to remove the 15-minute question period from their biweekly meeting, with Couns. Helen Fathers and David Chesney opposed.

As the motion was passed, residents in the gallery began to walk out, complaining about the decision, with former councillor Margaret Woods calling the mayor and council “cowards.”

The question period allows residents to ask mayor and councillors questions; in January 2013, it was moved to the end of the meeting – usually after Shaw Cable stopped recording it for TV broadcast – and was limited to matters from the evening’s agenda.

The bylaw amendment to remove question period has been  on the table since Jan. 26.

When introducing Monday’s final vote, Mayor Wayne Baldwin told council there are “ample opportunities for people to question council” and suggested a regular forum be scheduled to allow residents to connect one-on-one with elected officials.

“Not everybody is real happy about walking up to the mic and speaking into the mic in front of a bunch of people. But most people are pretty happy when they are able to talk one-on-one with councillors or with a group of councillors,” the mayor said.

“So that, to me, is a great solution (rather) than having a question period at the end of the meeting.”

Fathers – who was on holiday when council unanimously gave the amendment first, second and third readings – questioned the decision to take away the “forum for public discourse.”

“It’s hard for me to support this. Question period has been the hot potato for the last six years, and it keeps getting passed around and moved around the agenda,” she told council.

“It’s 15 minutes every two weeks, it’s really not that big of a deal.”

Speaking to Baldwin, Fathers noted he had done a “good job of controlling the meeting” thus far.

“People ask questions, and whether we like those questions or not is immaterial,” she said. “Municipalities should be embracing it… I don’t think we should be concerned or scared about that.”

Chesney – who previously had voted in favour of the decision to remove question period – also announced he would vote against, noting his decision to change positions came “upon further reflection.”

“I guess perhaps my initial knee-jerk reaction was to throw the baby out with the bath water,” he told council.

Chesney told Peace Arch News Tuesday that when the amendment was first introduced, “there was an overpowering mood in the room.”

“It was going down the drain,” he said. “And at that time, I thought, you know what, I’m going to have other battles to fight.”

However, after speaking to residents, Chesney said he realized his vote would be a matter of public record.

“Years from now, people may look back and ask, who the hell thought it was a good idea to get rid of question period? I didn’t want to be on record for that,” he said.

Chesney – who noted he had been at the question-period microphone prior to his election last November – said that while he voted against the decision on Monday, he agrees question period had become “useless.”

“I’ve been there, and to be very honest, question period, at the best of times – and this isn’t a reason to get rid of it – but at the best of times, as someone that’s used it on various occasions, I felt like I may have just gone down and talked to the white rock,” he said. “You get up and ask a question, and they just stare at you and ask, ‘is that it?’

“They don’t talk to you, they don’t discuss it, no one gets back to you.”

Chesney said residents will have an opportunity to ask questions of council members when he hosts monthly “community conversations” at White Rock Library – with the first slated for March 7 at 10 a.m.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just Posted

SBOT CEO ‘disappointed’ as Surrey council moves to cut $30K from proposed grant

Council has proposed a Surrey Board of Trade grant be reduced to $10,000, after staff recommended a $40,000 grant

Community steps up to get Sources’ food bank truck on the road

Individuals, businesses help fix vehicle that had been damaged by theft

Rainstorm drenches Lower Mainland as snow falls on the Sea-to-Sky

Heavy rains, snow expected till Friday morning

Teen writing workshop planned for Cloverdale Library

Free workshop part of library’s teen writing program

Man climbs tree to evade police after Surrey RCMP called to domestic dispute

The man was 60 feet up the tree for hours, according to a Black Press freelancer at the scene

Cannabis gift ideas for this holiday season

Put the green in happy holidays, now that cannabis is legal in Canada

‘I thought I was dead as soon as I saw the gun’

Keremeos gas station attendant tells story about man with gun coming to store

5 to start your day

Torched-SUV victim from Surrey ‘had the purest heart,’ TransLink will bring free WiFi to buses, SkyTrain and Seabus by 2020 and more

‘People talk about deep sadness:’ Scientists study climate change grief

Some call it environmental grief, some call it solastalgia — a word coined for a feeling of homesickness when home changes around you.

As protectors abandon Trump, investigation draws closer

Cohen was sentenced Wednesday to three years in prison for an array of crimes.

Senate delays start of sittings in new home, delaying start of broadcasts

The Senate and House of Commons are moving into temporary homes for the next decade as a result of long-planned and badly needed renovations to the Centre Block.

UK leader seeks EU lifeline after surviving confidence vote

EU leaders gather for a two-day summit, beginning Thursday, which will center on the Brexit negotiations.

BCHL’ers blanked by Russia at World Junior A Challenge

Canada West loses battle of the unbeaten teams in the preliminary round

French police try to catch attack suspect dead or alive

Local authorities increase death toll to three, including 13 wounded and five in serious condition

Most Read

l -->