Emergency crews were in the 1500-block of Vidal Street in White Rock the evening of Nov. 28, for an apartment fire. (Garry Wolgemuth photo)

White Rock fire started ‘less than an hour’ after resident left: chief

Unattended incense sparked apartment blaze

An evening fire that displaced residents of a Vidal Street apartment building’s top floor last week was caused by unattended incense, the city’s fire chief has confirmed.

And while it wasn’t intentionally set, the incident is a reminder of how quickly something can get out of control, Phil Lemire told Peace Arch News Wednesday.

When building alarms triggered just before 6 p.m. Nov. 28, “the resident had been out for less than an hour,” Lemire said.

The fire occurred in one of four fourth-floor units at 1520 Vidal St. Residents were quick to evacuate, receiving assistance at the scene from both the city’s emergency social services team and residents of the neigbouring Beverley complex.

The following day, deputy fire Chief Ed Wolfe told PAN the quick response of residents who alerted firefighters, and of fire crews that responded, averted a much bigger problem.

The fire was “very close” to expanding beyond the one unit, Wolfe said.

“It never vented out a window, but it was just at that stage where it easily could’ve,” Wolfe said. “I have to give full kudos to the first arriving crew, they did a great job to contain it.”

The other three top-floor units suffered smoke damage in the incident.

Lemire agreed the quick actions of all “for sure” had a positive influence on the outcome.

He said residents of the smoke-damaged suites are estimated to be displaced for “a couple of weeks” while the contents and the units themselves are cleaned.

Residents of the unit where the fire started will “be out of their suite for a considerable period of time.”

tholmes@peacearchnews.com

Just Posted

#MeToo at work: Employers play a role in fixing culture of harassment

B.C. workplaces are getting ahead of being the next MeToo debacle, calling on experts to train staff

Antique dealer relocates to South Surrey

‘Contacts are everything,’ says business owner Scott Landon

Owl found dead in South Surrey after eating rat poison

‘Who’s to say a kid’s not going to be the next one to go?’

Surrey woman reportedly shot

RCMP responded to the 16100-block of 92 Avenue at 7:30 p.m. after reports that a woman had been shot

UPDATE, with video: Man in his 80s hit by SUV at Scott Road near 72nd in Surrey

Victim was reportedly unconscious and suffering from major head injuries

SLIDESHOW: PAN’s week in pictures

Highlights from this week’s Peace Arch News

VIDEO: balloons and games and music at Basic for Babies in Langley

Event helps Food Banks stock supplies for infants

Update: RCMP arrest domestic assault suspect west of Kamloops.

The RCMP Emergency Response Team made the arrest at around 4:30 p.m.

Change to CPP death benefit panned as insufficient to cover funeral costs

Funeral Services Association of Canada lobbied governments to raise the value to $3,580

B.C. woman brain injured in crash as a baby gets $1.1 million in damages

Trial heard the woman was 16 months old, being carried by her mother when they were both hit

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

VIDEO: 3 months later, rescued sea lion released back into ocean

The young animal was found in Campbell River three months ago

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

Most Read