City of White Rock public works employees Earl Ostrosser (left) and Josh Armstrong remove the West Beach boat launch gate Thursday morning.

City of White Rock public works employees Earl Ostrosser (left) and Josh Armstrong remove the West Beach boat launch gate Thursday morning.

White Rock removes contentious boat-launch gate

Transport Canada OKs alternate safety measures and says it's up to city to request more crossings, following promise of a warning system

Nine days after the City of White Rock gated its West Beach boat launch, the chain-link structure has been removed.

The work Thursday morning followed notice to the city the day before that safety improvements completed at the site earlier this week satisfied a Transport Canada order to immediately install access-control measures.

Transport Canada railway signal systems officer Dennis Maskell told Peace Arch News Wednesday afternoon that he revoked his June 6 order as a result of the addition of stop signs, stop lines and a painted advisory to not stop on the tracks – in combination with a letter from the city promising the installation of a crossing-warning system at the site “at the earliest possible time.”

West Beach boat launch

“I don’t have to, but I talked it over with my boss. Under all of those circumstances, he thought it was reasonable to lift the order,” Maskell said.

“At that location, I’m probably going to require gates (arms) and lights.”

The city’s installation of the gate early last week – which was initially a locked barrier – caused an uproar in the community amongst civic leaders and residents alike. While city officials said they were told the structure had to be locked, Maskell said that particular decision was the city’s.

Mayor Wayne Baldwin told PAN Thursday that “there was mistakes made on both sides.”

“Quite frankly, I’m going to have to put some of the onus on Transport Canada, but also on ourselves,” Baldwin said. “Our staff and BNSF both came to the conclusion it had to be locked. By the same token, we could’ve phoned and asked for clarification, and they could’ve provided clarification by phoning as well.

“We’re OK now.”

The lock was removed Friday.

Early Monday (June 16), vandals pushed the gates backwards and over the tracks, creating a safety hazard. Both White Rock RCMP and the CN Police are investigating the incident, according to Maskell.

The city’s director of engineering Greg St. Louis cited it in a June 18 letter asking Maskell to lift his order.

“The city has since installed thicker steel plates as well as reinforced the steel plates… this, however, can still be compromised by a vehicle pushing the gate across the tracks,” St. Louis writes.

Maskell told PAN that the measures completed Tuesday are acceptable for now.

“I think it’s better than it was,” he said. “I’ll be totally happy when there’s a crossing-warning system there, but that is not going to happen overnight.”

He said that while he does not have “prescriptive” authority to order crossing arms and lights specifically, he can accept such a suggestion from the city.

The timeline for that installation has been left open until a “unilateral agreement on everything” has been reached, he said.

“There’s other issues in other locations on the promenade,” Maskell said, citing as example the city’s desire to add more pedestrian crossings between the boat launch and pier.

Maskell said he is not opposed to the idea.

“I said it’s up to the city to define access points (and) with BNSF, make them safe so people can go to the beach.

“At a minimum I would require flashing lights and a bell,” he said.

At the boat launch Thursday morning, the city’s manager of operations Paul Slack said the gate and fencing – which cost the city $2,500 to install – will not go to waste. It is to be relocated near Malabar Avenue and Cory Road, to limit public access to a hydro right-of-way.

Maskell noted that other orders he issued June 6 regarding addressing trespassing along the waterfront rail line remain in force.

Baldwin said a public forum to “try and give a perspective on this whole thing to everybody” is in the works. The date and location have not been finalized, he said.

However, one goal will be to return the focus to the issue of dangerous goods being transported along the waterfront.

“We’re dealing with the repercussions of an accident to one person,” the mayor said, referring to the July 2013 death of a jogger on East Beach. “That’s taken us off our game to deal with dangerous goods.

“We’ll certainly be talking about personal safety. The bigger focus is really the dangerous goods.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

B.C. Finance Minister Selina Robinson outlines the province’s three-year budget in Victoria, April 20, 2021. (B.C. government video)
B.C. deficit to grow by $19 billion for COVID-19 recovery spending

Pandemic-year deficit $5 billion lower than forecast

Chief Constable Norm Lipinski, Surrey Police Service. (Submitted photo)
Surrey Police Service to begin public consultation late June, early July

Community input, chief constable says, ‘will occur’

Surrey RCMP reunited three stolen puppies with their mom. (RCMP handout)
Puppies stolen from South Surrey home located, reunited with mom

Surrey RCMP said they found the stolen puppies on April 16

Welcome to your park sign marks the spot where 84th Avenue will continue east from King George Boulevard 
to 140th Street as part of a $13 million road project. (Photo: Tom Zytaruk)
Road Rage: Opposition mounts anew to Surrey’s plan for 84 Ave. at south end of Bear Creek Park

Same place, same project, same fight as Surrey prepares once again to connect 84th Avenue between King George and 140th Street in Newton

Mak Parhar speaks at an anti-mask rally outside the Vancouver Art Gallery on Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020. Parhar was arrested on Nov. 2 and charged with allegedly violating the Quarantine Act after returning from a Flat Earth conference held in Geenville, South Carolina on Oct. 24. (Flat Earth Focker/YouTube.com screenshot)
Judge tosses lawsuit of B.C. COVID-denier who broke quarantine after Flat Earth conference

Mak Parhar accused gov, police of trespass, malfeasance, extortion, terrorism, kidnapping and fraud

FILE – NDP Leader John Horgan, right, and local candidate Mike Farnworth greet one another with an elbow bump during a campaign stop in Coquitlam, B.C., on Friday, September 25, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. won’t be using random individual road stops to enforce travel rules: Safety Minister

Minister Mike Farnworth says travel checks only being considered at major highway junctions, ferry ports

A man pauses at a coffin after carrying it during a memorial march to remember victims of overdose deaths in Vancouver. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. announces historic half-billion-dollar funding for overdose crisis, mental health

Of it, $152 million will be used to address the opioid crisis and see the creation of 195 new substance use treatment beds

Children’s backpacks and shoes are seen at a CEFA (Core Education and Fine Arts) Early Learning daycare franchise, in Langley, B.C., on Tuesday May 29, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. budget to expand $10-a-day child care, but misses the mark on ‘truly universal’ system

$111 million will be used to fund 3,750 new $10-a-day spaces though 75 additional ChildCareBC universal prototype sites over the next three years.

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

John Wekking, Merritt Road Report - Facebook
 Coquihalla Road Report
Wildfire sparks off Coquihalla in Merritt

The wildfire is located near the Dollarama off of Highway 5

Ambulance paramedic in full protective gear works outside Lion’s Gate Hospital, March 23, 2020. Hospitals are seeing record numbers of COVID-19 patients more than a year into the pandemic. (The Canadian Press)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infection rate declines, 849 cases Tuesday

Up to 456 people now in hospital, 148 in intensive care

Christy Clark, who was premier from 2011 to 2017, is the first of several present and past politicians to appear this month before the Cullen Commission, which is investigating the causes and impact of B.C.’s money-laundering problem over the past decade. (Darryl Dyck/Canadian Press)
Christy Clark says she first learned of money-laundering spike in 2015

The former B.C. premier testified Tuesday she was concerned the problem was ‘apparently at an all-time high’

Most Read