(Vancouver Fire & Rescue Service)

(Vancouver Fire & Rescue Service)

UPDATE: Woman dies in accidental fire in Vancouver’s Yaletown

Firefighters provided few details, but say the flames were caused accidentally

An elderly woman died late Wednesday night in a fire in Vancouver’s upscale Yaletown neighbourhood.

Firefighters were called to an apartment building in the 1000 block of Marinaside Crescent around 11:30 p.m., to find one suite on the eighth floor “heavily charged” with smoke.

The fire was contained to that suite, and was determined to have been accidental.

Capt. Jonathan Gormick said it appears it was most likely incense or a candle left unattended.

The smoke alarm and the sprinkler did go off, he added, so it’s possible the woman, in her 80s, may have fallen asleep or had some kind of medical emergency.

Don’t even go into another room when you’ve got a candle burning or a pot on the stove, Gormick said.

This is the city’s first fire fatality of the year.



laura.baziuk@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter