The family of a Surrey teen killed in a drunken, speed-fuelled crash three years ago is not surprised that the teenage driver, who was just sentenced in February and banned from driving, is now in jail facing new charges – three of which are driving related.
Sanjay and Sara Sharma’s eldest son, 15-year-old Sanjeeve, was in the back seat of a car driven by a 16-year-old in June 2009 when the vehicle crashed into a lamp post near 128 Street and 82 Avenue. Sanjeeve was seriously injured and died later in hospital.
The driver, who had taken his mom’s car and had only his learner’s permit, was charged with dangerous driving causing death – a charge to which he eventually pleaded guilty.
Though he is 19 now, he cannot be named because he was a minor at the time of the 2009 crash.
Earlier this year, he was sentenced to a six-month deferred custody and supervision order (comparable to house arrest) – under which he was to keep the peace and be of good behaviour. He was also prohibited from driving for three-and-a-half years and banned from possessing weapons.
During sentencing, the judge advised the youth to “show the world you’re not the man you were two years ago.”
Now, just three-and-a-half months later, he is accused of not only being behind the wheel illegally, but committing a series of other crimes.
The young man, who is now 19, was arrested May 6 in Surrey and charged with operating a motor vehicle while disqualified, uttering threats, assault with a weapon, and driving while prohibited. A fifth charge of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle was added May 23.
“This guy will never change,” said Sanjay Sharma (pictured at left with his wife Sara). “I’m not surprised at all. This isn’t his last, there’ll be more. Trouble is trouble is trouble.”
Part of the teen’s sentence in connection with Sanjeeve’s death was to participate in a restorative youth justice program, where victims of crime meet with perpetrators, if the Sharmas were willing.
Sanjay said he was going to give the young man a year to see if he would actually turn his life around before agreeing to participate. Now, Sanjay said, he’s not interested.
“He should have considered himself blessed… with that light sentence,” said Sanjay. “I would have been really thrilled with that if I were him and just followed the easy guidelines the judge gave.”
The young man’s next appearance on the new charges is scheduled for June 4.