Just last month, White Rock’s city council gave a “tepid-at-best” response to Solterra’s plan for a 17-storey tower on the current site of Deals World (No support for ‘premature’ 17-floor tower, May 13).
The council, including the mayor, said the plan was premature pending approval of the city’s updated OCP.
Without support from council, and well-documented community opposition to a myriad of highrises suggested throughout White Rock – mostly outside the current OCP – why was Solterra allowed to pitch its plan again two weeks later?
Deals World is an especially sensitive location, as it represents a miniature department store that members of our community on fixed incomes rely on for daily staples.
When a developer is clearly told ‘no,’ why aren’t they sent packing?
If Solterra’s sterile, inappropriate monolith is ultimately allowed to go ahead, the next development needs to be at city hall: a mayor and majority on council responsive to its citizens and tough with developers.
Failing that, it may be time to just move the whole business to Surrey City Centre.
Anthony Manning, White Rock
• • •
A proposal is being made in the 3600-block of 152 Street for the construction of about 330 homes.
This will include approximately 30 single-family homes and 300 family-oriented townhouses.
Where is the planning for the education of the children that will reside in these homes? Neighbouring schools are overflowing. Will they be bused to other areas? What about police and fire protection that is lacking in the area? Are there new fire halls being built? Are more police going to be assigned to the area?
How can our government continue to let these developments be built without considering the need for schools, policing, fire stations and neighbouring hospitals?
Phyllis Moreau, Surrey